Chapter 3;Girlfriend!

"Now if you open your books to chapter 7, you will see the.." Dari was in his Math class, which was quite mundane, and boring, he thought. He kept zoning in and out of class, staring into space at times. Sleepless, and irritable, he tried his best to focus, however, he found it very difficult. Why pay attention when you've got lots to think about? He was so tired and unfocused, that he kept imagining things. That's insane, he thought. What was he doing here?

Suddenly, he saw his brother walk inside his classroom, and sit on his desk, nonchalantly. Ju looked like he didn't have a care in the world. Dari turned his head quickly, and looked around wildly, but nobody seemed to notice that his brother just walked in at all. They seemed as though they were in a trance.

'I think they think you're crazy too.' Ju-Sheng whispered loudly. The classroom around them started to slow down. Dari watched around, turning his neck violently.  Ju-Sheng examined his own nails, before looking at Dari.

'What's wrong, Jealous?' Ju asked, mockingly. He wore a horrible smile.

'No. Of course not.' Dari said quietly, trying his best not to have an outburst.

'Of course you are! You know, Yuri prefers guys who are in their right mind, you know? Sane?' Ju said, grinning at Dari, watching his puzzled face with pride.

"I am sane.' Dari said, getting increasingly frustrated. It was getting harder not to shout. Dari glared at him.

'Says the guy talking to a figment of his imagination.' Ju's face contorted into an insane expression of glee, as if he'd won the World Cup.

'Huh? Haha, huh?' Ju-Sheng nudged Dari hard with his elbow. Dari tried his best to ignore him. Ju kicked his feet playfully, and hummed. It was getting harder to ignore him. Leave me alone.. Ju-Sheng stared at him.

"Kyushi, if your phone is much more important than scalar field theory, I suggest you tell us what's going on." The teacher snapped. Dari rushed back into focus. Ju-Sheng vanished.

'It's just the sleep deprivation..' Dari told himself. It wasn't in the least bit of a reassurance. Kyushi stood up. He ran his fingers through his short, curly hair, smiling awkwardly. Dari turned around to look at him.

"So, you see, Tanaka-san,  I was talking to Lana about her brother, you know, who was on the soccer team, and he got kicked off! What? So he said—" The teacher cut Kyushi off halfway through his sentence.

"That's quite enough. Give me your phone." She said, walking in between the desks that separated them to collect his phone. Kyushi shoved the phone into her hands hastily.

"It's password protected, better not try anything." He sneered, as the other kids snickered. Dari looked around at the kids who were laughing.  Then he looked up at the clock. It was  almost break time.

He felt like the school day would never end. He was so damn bored, like he could die any second of boredom.

Dari laughed mirthlessly  as he laid down on the spacious, green soccer field at 2:10. Despite Ivi's text, she was not there. He thought that she would come, but she didn't. He was used to being let down.

"Hahah, should've known." A tear ran down his cheek, he wiped it away immediately. His heart hurt. He was expecting so much from her

'So it was pity.' He thought to himself, as he laid down against the grass. Pitied. He was pitied because he had liked Ivi's best friend. She pitied him.

"That I would come?" A familiar, soft female voice called. He turned around at the speed of light. There she stood; Ivi, one of the prettiest girls in the school. Her long black hair looked like she had taken more care in her appearance today, shore wore a lovely pink floral spring dress that flowed to her knees like water, and billowed gracefully in the wind. She smelled like daisies.

"Ivi.." He said in awe, not believing his eyes. He couldn't take his eyes off of her, it was mesmerising to look at her. Hypnotising even.

"What? You really would've given up hope on me?" She smiled, taking a seat beside him on the grass. He sat up awkwardly.

"But I don't understand why you want me here." Dari said, looking at her for a response. She hesitated. She was beautiful even when she didn't know what to say.

"Well— I kinda like you, and I've never really liked anyone before." She said, looking away, blushing light pink on her porcelain face.

"And you're sure? Because I don't like liars." He ruffled his hair, he didn't quite  know what to say. He was at a loss for words. He had been so used to disappointment.

"Yes, Dari. I'm sure." She said, mustering up more confidence as she looked over at him. He averted his eyes from her, he felt his face going hot.

"Oh, um, okay then." He stuttered. There was a loud, stifling silence that was broken when Dari spoke.

"So then what?" He asked, twiddling his thumbs, still averting her gaze.

"Not quite sure, but I'm pretty sure we start dating?" She asks, looking to him for answers.

"Okay then.. How does Friday sound? 5:00." He asked, pulling the collar of his shirt, he felt himself sweating. Did it get hot out here?

"Yeah, that sounds great." She said, relieved that she didn't have to decide.

"Then it's a date." He said.

"I'll see you then." She got up, and walked away.

As soon as he was sure she was out of earshot, he got up, and screamed. It wasn't of joy. It was of anger.

"Shit!" He screamed. Overwhelmed, he was. He hadn't ever been on a date. He didn't know what to do. He didn't know how to treat her. Was he supposed to pick her up? He knew that he did have to pay, of course, it was the right thing to do. Ladies like chivalry. Right? Many questions ran through his head. He could ask Ddaeng.. But then become the laughing stock of the brothers for the next two weeks.. Dari didn't know what to do, or what to wear.

"Damn." He grumbled to himself, his head pounding and pulsing with thoughts, and questions that he was sure had no answer. He didn't know how to be himself around her. He knew how to be himself around his friends and family.. Just not a beautiful girl. Dari watched Satoro's car pull into the parking lot. Satoro parked his beaten-up silver car inside the school parking lot, honking the horn rapidly. Dari picked up his bag and ran towards the car. Satoro rolled down the window, beckoning him inside the car.

"Hey, I need a favour." Dari opened the door, and clambered inside, clumsily shoving his bag at his feet, accidentally hurting his foot with his heavy Law textbook. He winced slightly.

"Yeah, what Dar?" Satoro asked him as Ru, Vee and Kyushi entered the car, Kyushi was livid. Vee twirled a lock of her hair, in a hypnotised daze.

"Can I borrow your car on Friday?" Dari asked, his voice quieter than he intended it to be. After a few seconds of awkward silence,

"Uh, yeah sure. Why?" Satoro adjusted the mirrors, looking back to see if he was able to pull out safely.

"I'm taking Ivi out on a date." Dari said, smiling weirdly. Satoro blinked, and put his hand to his mouth dramatically.

"You wh—" Kyushi said, at a complete loss for words, forgetting why he was upset. He was jealous, he liked Ivi as well. It was more like he found her as a prettier than average girl that he just happened to like looking at.

"Nice job, bro." Vee said, completely impressed, still curling her hair on her finger.

"I really don't give a shit, but congrats." Ru said, flipping the pages in his textbook. He had a small smile, he was proud too. And surprised. He was amused, even.

"Good job." Satoro patted Dari proudly on the back. Satoro stepped on the gas, and pulled out of the school parking lot. Dari was still worried, though he didn't show it. He was just praised by his sister and his cousins, and that was something that rarely ever happened. Only once had that ever happened, and that was when Dari shot the winning goal that won their school the championship. Dari was glad, but still couldn't help feeling guilt. Guilty for what? Another question Dari thought didn't have an answer. For now, all Dari had to worry about was where they were going to eat.

"Ddaeng is going to flip when he hears this." Dari laughed, thinking about the face his cousin would make when he heard that Dari was finally going on his first date.