18| chains

AS SOON AS SHE had closed the door, she could feel her heartbeat quicken. It was a nauseous feeling which was crawling in her stomach, the one which told her something was very, very wrong. She didn't pay it any mind. After all, she often felt uncomfortable in situations where she shouldn't be. In the end, Nathan was locked up and she was supposed to be doing her job, so nothing else mattered. Wasn't that what she was doing here? Her job?

"You're unsure why you came in here," Nathan said, not a question, just a statement.

"What makes you think so?" she said.

"You're always mirroring me when you feel you're the one leading the conversation," he smiled," now, you're far more withdrawn. I wouldn't say nervous, because I don't scare you. Or do I, Helene?"

For a moment, her mask faltered. It wasn't a miraculous revelation which he was making, no, she had read people like this many times before as well. When it was done to her however it felt like she was vulnerable all of a sudden, like all the weaknesses she tried so hard to keep hidden were laid bare for the whole world to see. No one ever watched her closely enough to notice anyway. After all, the people she interacted with had enough problems of their own to also focus on someone else's, something she understood completely. Besides, wasn't that her role? Always observing, never truly participating?

Her body moved before she even had recovered herself, a smile curling up on her lips almost like a reflex. She was glad for it, ignoring the brief second she had been jarred by his words. After all, wasn't she the one in control of the conversation, always? It didn't matter if she was deluding herself by thinking so, as long as she thought it. With a chuckle she shifted forward to sit on her knees, eyes locked with his.

"You already know the answer to that question," she said," what scared person would lock themselves in a room with you?"

"A crazy one, perhaps," he mused.

"Perhaps," she replied," perhaps I should leave, seeing how unsure I am."

"You wouldn't," he said, so confidently that she moved to leave just to prove him wrong.

She had her hand on the door already to knock so the guards would let her out, but right before her knuckles could touch the steel he spoke, voice somehow loud despite how soft he was speaking.

"I wasn't joking when I said I will kill them all, Helene."

"I doubt you joke much," she said, her back still towards him.

"I don't," Nathan replied warmly," but for you, I'll even grant a life."

She turned around, attempt to leave forgotten as she stared at him. "What do you mean?"

"Tick tock," he grinned, eyes snapping to the right, as if he could sense that something was happening," it's time. Can you feel it?"

"What did you do?" she said, walking towards him without even noticing it.

"Like I said," he smiled," I would stay here as long as it would be fun for me. What makes you think I wouldn't burn this whole place down for separating me from the only person who has ever interested me?"

She sat down in front of him, just beyond the reach of his hands, watching him curiously.

"You're escaping," she remarked," the only way you'll be able to, by killing everyone in here. Are you telling me to choose one person to keep alive? Is it because you want to be cruel to me or because you want me to be cruel?"

"Why would I want to be cruel to you?" he blinked, looking genuinely surprised," you're the only one that matters."

"Will I matter more if I lose myself in insanity then?" she said.