Remember (Agents AU)

Ikkan's POV

I don't remember how much time i've spent at Octo Valley, listening to music. Compared to the loud noises and music of Inkopolis Plaza and the Square, it felt somewhat different here.

It felt right.

I always spend time down here when i just need to, yknow? it relaxes me, for a place that's filled with Octarian hideouts.

I can recall months ago when i was assigned Captain of the new Squidbeak.

"Squiddo, i have something very important to announce..im afraid im growing too old, and not much suited for this job. And today, i want to give this hat to someone who's capable for this role next."

"Oh? Who?" i said, curious.

Cuttlefish looks over to me.

Oh.
O h.

"...Im afraid that you are no longer Agent 3. From now on, you are now the new Captain of the New Squidbeak Splatoon."

As he gave the hat to me, i felt...lost. Is this role actually suited for me? Am i ever gonna be a good captain?

One afternoon, i woke up late, the sun shining through the window. It felt early, though it was 2:30 pm. I decided to head to the living room to see if any of the other agents were there.

In this apartment, there were only two rooms. Since there was no space for Warabi (aka 8), he slept in the living room. But Ichiya's thinking about getting a bunk bed, so Warabi wouldn't feel alone. Kinda like a roommate thing.

I saw Warabi on the balcony, staring at the sky of Inkopolis Square. Ever since he moved here with us, he goes on the balcony every day, just to stare at the sky. I don't get why, but then again he's a newly-defected Octoling experiencing the light for the first time in years.

At one point, i joined him. "Its the afternoon. Why did you wake up so.." Warabi says to me.

"Let's not talk about it. Where's Ichiya?"

"Hanging out with Marie. He says he won't be back until noon, since Marie planned to go to alot of places with him. So i guess its just us here."

I thought about it. Me and Warabi never went out with each other much, and today was a day off from the NSBS and work, so i felt like this would be a good opportunity.

"How about...we spend some time with each other today?" I asked to Warabi.

His face lit up with glee. "Yeah, that would be nice!"

Hours later, we walked out of the apartment, i didn't look like much, just wearing a jacket with sweatpants. But Warabi...he was wearing sunglasses, a blue striped tank top, and shorts with leggings, along with blue and black squidkid V's. I decided to wear a little eyepatch, to cover up my sanitization scar. Didn't wanna look like a weirdo in public.

We decided to go shopping first, since that was Warabi's favorite thing to do. Though, he tends to buy alot...

Along the way to the galleria, i felt like something was wrong. Like there was still something going on with me, i don't know what. But i thought nothing of it. Thing's are gonna go fine.

We ran into Marina and Pearl, who happened to also be shopping.

It went well, nothing bad happened, which was great. We would return back to the apartment by 7 pm and Pearl would ask if we could play Mario Kart. Something that we haven't done together in awhile.

Eventually, Ichiya returned home and decided to join us. It was a fun night, reminds me that there is atleast some good stuff in my life. Except...

I still felt empty by the end of the night. I looked at myself in the mirror, looking at who used to be an actual hero. Someone who used to be "normal".

"Ikkan?" a voice came from the bathroom door.

It was Warabi. He had his pajama's on, implying that he was gonna go sleep. But he just had to check on me.

"...What?"

"Just wanted to check on you. Wanted to see if..you were alright, yknow?"

"I'm doing okay. I'm fine. Just leave me al-"

Warabi hugs me out of nowhere. And he knew i needed it, because i started tearing up the moment he did.

I felt safe in his grasp. He and my friends are all i have left in this world.

We've both have been through alot, to say the least. Tartar, Kamabo, having to fight for our lives. Now were here. Hugging each other.

It was just us again, since Ichiya went to sleep. I blushed for a moment before pulling away from him, realizing what i was doing.

"Can...can we just go to sleep now?"

Warabi nods. "Sure."