04

I was sitting at the cafeteria, staring down at my hot bowl of kimchi, soup, and fish. I played with the food with my spoon and was taken out of my thoughts when a familiar handsome man approached me, holding something behind his back.

I looked up at his attractive face. It was Sangwoo. I immediately blushed. "Hi, Sangwoo." I said.

"I have something for you." He said before revealing a bag of Kkokkalcorn (Its like Korean Bugles.) My eyes lit up. He bought me a snack?

"I just think you deserve a little extra food along with your lunch." He handed them to me.

"That's so sweet of you, Sangwoo! How much won was it? I can repay you." I grabbed my wallet out of my back pack.

"No, no. It's a gift. I don't want you to be malnourished any longer. I want to fill you up a bit, and you'd be such a treat to look at." He winked at me.

I blushed hard. As he made his way through the cafeteria, I pinched my arm to check if I was dreaming.

"Nope, it's real." I said under my breathe.

I quickly started eating my meal along with my bag of chips. The bell rung just as I had finished.

I put my tray of food on the window sill of the cafeteria. It was an opening to get your lunch, and to drop off your silverware, trays, and plates.

I made my way upstairs to my Language arts class with a smile on my face and a full stomach. I took my seat and Mrs. Kim announced to the class that we'll be partnered to write a research paper about historical events in Korea.

I glanced at Sangwoo, hoping he'd pick me as a partner before I saw Jieun approach him and sit next to him. She pulled out her laptop and they both laughed and chattered.

I frowned and the happy butterflies in my stomach disappeared. How disappointing...

Everybody seemed to be paired up with somebody and I sat in the corner of the room, alone.

As usual.

"Does everybody have a partner?" Mrs. Kim chimed.

I sighed and said in a melancholy manner,"No, I don't, Mrs. Kim."

"You can partner up with Joon." She said, beaming me a smile.

I looked across the room, as the opposite corner of me and there Tang Joon sat, slouched with his head resting in the palm of his hands.

I think Joon was a new student, transferring from a boarding school. I heard some nasty rumors that he was expelled for allegedly pushing a kid off a bridge.

He was attractive, but everybody avoided him and treated him like an out cast due to the allegations.

Joon stood up to reveal his skinny, tall figure. He started walking to my desk and said "I'm Tang Joon."

"I'm Choi Nari." I smiled at him.

He sat beside me in the empty desk. He rested his head in his palm and said "What do you want to do our paper on?"

I grabbed my laptop up and said "I was thinking of doing it on the invasion of South Korea in 1950 or the split of North and South Korea."

Joon reclined in his seat and huffed. "We should do the first option because I bet everybody is doing the separation."

"Yeah, you're probably right." I answered as I typed into the search bar "1950 South Korean Invasion."

We worked on our research with little words exchanged between us. I was curious about Joon, so I glanced at him from the side and eyed the many piercings in his ear, and his neck long, shaggy dark hair. He was focused on his research, and tucked a free strand of hair behind his pierced ear.