moonlight

Atsumu looked at his phone. there was a message from Kiyoomi, so he slid open the conversation.

Kiyoomi:

23:58 please listen for a moment

23:59 I'm really having trouble telling you how I feel, simply because it's something I haven't done much

23:59 but typing it out is easier, so...

00:01 I feel the same, about being closer to you now. I haven't shared a moment like that with anyone before, but that's exactly what scares me about it... I don't have any friends besides my cousin, and I'm not sure that counts since we're related...

00:02 what I'm trying to say is: this is all new to me, and I'm scared of messing it up.

the anxious boy was trembling as he wrote these messages. was this a panic attack? no, it was something else. afterwards it felt good to have gotten all of that out.

he heard his name being called out softly.

"Omi, ya do have other friends. ya have me now."

the black haired boy smiled out of relief and rested his head against the door, closing his eyes. finally he had managed to bring a new person into his life, despite his difficulties with socializing.

the boy stood up slowly and unlocked the door, opening it to reveal his friend looking like an emotional wreck. guilt flooded Kiyoomi's mind.

Atsumu stood up and smiled brightly, calming the other down a little. his smile was as bright as the sun.

the both of them wanted to hug each other, but considering they hadn't known for that long, they refrained from even asking if it was okay.

they returned to sit on the bed and Atsumu started talking: "thanks, for bein' vulnerable with me already. I hope we can grow even closer 'n be able to share stuff like this in the future too."

in the future..? Kiyoomi nodded without saying anything while he thought about this choice of words. was Atsumu really planning on being long term friends?

he heard Atsumu sigh before starting to talk again.

"I wanna tell ya 'bout it, 'bout my panic attack."

Kiyoomi looked into the warm hazel eyes, only to notice they were laced in fear. this would be a heavy topic, so he leaned back and kept looking at the nervous blonde to let him know he was listening.

"I don't wanna go home tomorrow. this camp's been a great distraction, not to mention I've been enjoyin' talkin' with new people, 'n now ya..."

the boy paused and let out a shaky breath.

"my dad hits me. sometimes it's real bad, 'n I'm scared now he's got a lot to take out on me, since I've been gone for almost a week... but I'm also scared to see what he's done to my brother. occasionally dad hits him too, though I'm like his favorite toy, but if Samu interrupts us or I'm not there to be his punchin' bag..."

the blonde broke down crying. Kiyoomi had been gazing at him in terror, his thick eyebrows in a frown. he didn't know what to say. all he knew was that this heartwrenching sight made him want to hold the setter.

his instincts kicked in before he could think about his actions. he pulled the sobbing boy against his chest and laid his hand on the blonde's damp head.

neither of them said anything. they were too stunned to speak so they stayed in their thoughts.

Kiyoomi thought about how bruised up the boy he was holding must be during the worst periods, yet he manages to play volleyball as the top high school setter of Japan. the black haired boy imagined how hard it must have been to endure all of that pain and keep smiling like it wasn't there.

it wasn't pity he felt for Atsumu, it was something else. he had pitied plenty of people before, but this was something new.

meanwhile the boy in his arms had stopped crying. he was enjoying the warm embrace, listening to Kiyoomi's heartbeat. of course he was surprised by the usually standoffish boy's sudden actions, but it made Atsumu feel special.

the blonde closed his eyes and nuzzled into the black hoodie Kiyoomi was wearing. in this comfortable warmth, Atsumu's emotional exhaustion took over.

Kiyoomi looked down at the now sleeping boy in his arms and blushed. he didn't understand why. he didn't recognize the nature of his own feelings towards Atsumu, but he did realize the blonde was awakening a new side of him.

in the pale moonlight, Kiyoomi asked himself if this was really what friendships were like.

《 ☆ 》

when Atsumu woke up, he was tucked comfortably in his bed. there was no trace left behind by a visitor staying with him late at night. except for when he glanced at the bedside table and noticed a neatly folded note.

╔                                                      ╗

Good morning Atsumu,

I hope you slept well and
feel refreshed now.
I'll see you at breakfast,
if you want to eat together.

Kiyoomi
 ╚                                                       ╝

Atsumu felt a smile growing on his face. it was clear that the same Kiyoomi, who was described as cold to everyone, cared about him. now he was confident in this relationship starting to bloom and develop into something deeper.

━━━━━━━ •♬• ━━━━━━━

well well well, their little friendship is off to a good start, don't you think?

and Atsumu's deep dark secret has been revealed. sorry dad Miya for making you a bad guy, but this story can't be all flowers and rainbows now, can it?

hope to see you again soon, byeee!

- A.