Chapter Twenty-Seven

Finding the will to wake up the next day was a challenge in itself. As long as she kept her eyes closed, she could always pretend that nothing had happened, that she was lying in her own bed and it had all been just one rollercoaster of a dream. She really didn't want to sort through the aftermath of the whole Chuffrey disaster, but least of all, she wanted to face Elphaba and be forced to explain herself. Having supposedly been drunk as hell could only account for so much.

Remembering vividly falling asleep to the scent of Elphaba's coconut-oiled skin, the warmth of her body, and the tenderness of her touch, awakening without any of those anywhere in reach disorientated her for a moment. She wished she could afford herself some disappointment over the loss, but in truth, she was mostly relieved not having to awkwardly disentangle herself from the other girl's slumbering embrace.

Cautiously, she cracked open one eye, then immediately screwed them both firmly shut to protect herself from the bright sun. This wasn't the soft morning light she'd expected. Merciful Oz; what time was it?

She groped around for her phone—first without looking, then with squinted eyes—but was ultimately unable to locate it. Heaving a laboured sigh, she propped herself on her elbows and let her vision slowly adjust to the daylight.

The room looked exactly how she remembered it, despite the drinking and her overall befuddle state. But Elphaba was nowhere to be seen. For a clock-tick, a panicked feeling kicked her right in the gut at the thought that her friend might have left her behind and returned to the Emerald City by herself.

In Glinda's mind, it would have been an entirely reasonable and justifiable thing to do. Elphaba had rescued her from immediate danger and made sure that she was in a save place. Her task was done. Glinda wasn't a child and would be able to call a taxi or something. There was no further obligation to put up with her drama, or her out of place behaviour any longer.

She let herself drop back into the pillows, staring at the ceiling. If this was the case, she needed to pull herself together. As quickly as possible. He phone. Where was her freaking phone?

Rolling onto her side, she once again searched the side table. There was no sign of it, but the alarm clock dock told her that it was half past noon.

"Fuck," murmured Glinda, running her hands over her face, trying to wipe away the tiredness and her shame.

She wiggled her body until her legs hung off the bed, then pushed herself into a sitting position and carefully, almost apprehensively put her feet down as though she half expected them to be too week to carry her.

The door rattled behind her, slid open and closed with a small thud.

"Oh, you're awake."

Glinda spun around in surprise, astonished to see Elphaba dumping a colourful paper bag on the kitchen counter.

"You're still here," she whispered in mild disbelief, and Elphaba turned around at the sound.

"Huh?"

Glinda's cheeks flushed.

"Uh, nothing."

Shrugging, the taller girl began to unpack a couple of bread rolls, margarine and a small tray of sliced cheese.

"I'm making brunch. I hope cheese rolls are okay?"

"Don't we have to check out or something?" replied Glinda.

"Don't worry about that. I paid for an extra night. We have all the time in the world. Except that I'd like to start back before it gets dark. The roads here are a nightmare."