Chapter Sixteen

Glinda finished work late again, but for once she had neither her boss, nor any of her co-workers to blame. She'd stayed behind entirely out of her own volition, trying to make the most of her time while waiting for a certain green-skinned someone to pick her up.

She knew she'd never be able to make it up to Fiyero—first her sudden ambush at his own place on Sunday night, then yesterday evening's impromptu long distance therapy session that had lasted well past midnight. Not to mention all those other things he'd done for her over the past years, but how was she supposed to even begin keeping track of all those? Besides his hermitic streak, the man was simply too perfect to be true.

His words had encouraged her more than she could possibly have hoped. Of course he'd started by telling her that it was okay if her romantic feelings were fickle and fading. As a more or less content aromantic, she'd half expected that of him and was prepared to fully ignore him; not because she didn't consider it a valid and wholesome identity for some people, but because she was stubborn that way and not yet willing to give up on her own future in romance that easily.

He'd then moved on to ask about more details, taking all of her confessions regarding Elphaba in a stride without even once pointing out that he'd told her so weeks ago. Acknowledging that he'd been aware of hardly more than the tip of the iceberg, he conceded that it was unlikely (albeit not impossible) that Glinda was on the aro spectrum and instead suggested that she might have been under so much pressure and stress those last few days, that it would be by no means surprising that everything else had faded to the background for some time.

Now that was an argument Glinda could accept. Everything that had followed was little more than drawn out small talk, seasoned with a bit of pep talk and some good old gallows humour. Before going to sleep, despite the late hour, Glinda had sent Elphaba a message, offering as much help as she needed, or at least as much as she would be able to provide outside of her workhours. She'd waited several minutes after that for a reply, which naturally did not arrive until early the next morning.

And now, as she finally left the office, Elphaba was there, getting out of her car to greet her.

"Hey," the taller girl said, a lopsided grin on her lips.

"Hey," answered Glinda and almost blushed.

Elphaba wasn't aware of the significance of this moment, but Glinda couldn't stop thinking about how this one decision she'd made last night would change everything. For the better, she hoped. She'd give herself and Elphaba a chance. She'd take it slow, of course, testing the waters carefully before making the next move. But she wouldn't hold back anymore for any reason other than Elphaba's objection.

It didn't take long for Elphaba to become somewhat suspicious.

"You seem cheerful today?" she remarked, casting her a fleeting side glance as she drove.

Glinda's face flushed hot then, and her smile faltered for a split-second, only to widen into a silly grin.

"It's nothing," she declared with a shrug. "Or at least nothing in particular. Do you mind that I'm happy?"

"You think I'm that miserable?" Elphaba gave a soft scoff and shook her head in amusement. "No, of course not. I'm glad. If I had to venture a guess, I'd say your reunion with your mum went well?"

Glinda almost burst into a fit of mirthless laughter.

"By Oz, Elphie! You've never—and I mean it—never been so wrong."

"That bad, hm?" asked Elphaba gently, brows knitted.

"Yes, but please don't ask."

Glinda desperately hoped that she wouldn't enquire any further. She hadn't even meant to bring it up at all. She'd made her peace with it all the moment she'd decided to pursue her feelings for her friend, and there was no reason whatsoever to give new life to those miserable emotions. All she wanted to concentrate on was how good it felt to be back at Elphaba's side, almost carefree in her cautious optimism, hopeful that everything would work out one way or another. Her heart may have been beating a little out of rhythm, but seeing as she wasn't going to declare her undying love any time soon, there was really no objective cause for it.