Chapter Twelve

Fiyero accompanied her downstairs, just in case she was the first to leave this morning and the main door was still locked. It wasn't, but she was still grateful for the nice send off. As they stood in the entrance hall, exchanging a few last words, a couple walked past, watching them curiously. At a second glance, she recognised the woman from the night before.

"I believe your neighbours think now that you've finally found a girlfriend," Glinda snickered quietly once the door had closed behind them.

"Yup," Fiyero agreed, drawing breath through his teeth. "Pretty sure they do. They'll also start asking about you whenever they see me, unless I tell them the truth. What do you reckon: should I let them down gently or tell them outright that you're actually seeing someone else?"

"I'm not seeing anyone," she protested mildly and gave his arm a little, playful slap.

"Well, you're seeing an awful lot of Elphaba though."

"Gosh, not that again!"

"Go on then," he said chuckling, "leave already. Don't want to be late for work, anyway, right?"

"I don't want to go at all, but I'm afraid I have to. I'll see you on Sunday, okay?"

He smiled, nodding eagerly.

Glinda reached up to give him a quick peck on the cheek.

"I'll bring souvlas again," she promised, adding, "But only if you promise to curb your teasing."

With that, she turned around and made for the door.

"It's not teasing if it's true," he called after her. "I'm only trying to help."

She rolled her eyes, but decided it would be best not to acknowledge him if she planned on arriving at the office in a timely fashion.

Glinda had barely settled down and unpacked her laptop when Mr Nikidik came to her desk in order to inform her that Dayae had taken ill and that both of her clients had insisted on keeping their appointments for today. As everyone else was busy enough as it was, Glinda had been chosen to deal with them. She wasn't thrilled, but at least Nikidik was willing to postpone some of her less urgent assignments in return.

"I'll leave these with you then," he said as he noisily slapped two thick folders onto her desk.

Hesitantly, she pulled the first of the files towards her and opened it with a good measure of dread. The clock was already ticking; she'd have less than half an hour to familiarise herself with the case.

Glinda did not dare allowing herself a decent brake before the second appointment was done and dusted. She felt drained and pitied Dayae, who normally had to deal with those clients that she had attended today. The young guy from her morning appointment was shamelessly flirty, but she supposed he was without a doubt the lesser evil; the couple that she had just now seen out of the door seemed to think they knew everything better than the professionals they had hired to consult them. It had taken Glinda far longer than the arranged time of forty-five minutes to battle against their absurd suggestions and to come up with a strategy to make them believe that the proposition she intended to push through had been one of their own design. If worst ever really came to worst, she was prepared to stand trial for her own mistakes – not those of inept laypersons. Blaming the customers would not fly with Nikidik either. After all, being able to compel clients into trusting her expert judgement and advice was all part of the job.

She entered the cafeteria with the sole intention of grabbing a coffee and returning to her desk. She was spotted by Yolona, however, who enthusiastically waved her over.