•S I X•

♪ If I had just one penny forEvery time somebody didn't get me ♪{BANKS—Misunderstood}

Every time somebody didn't get me ♪
{BANKS—Misunderstood}

The ride turned bumpier the closer they got to Romsey, which Lord Read explained was a small but bustling town that he was proud to oversee. It was quaint, but animated, its streets packed with the young and the elderly alike, rich with questions and comments and motivation to succeed.

The manor was, Lord Read also explained, west of Romsey itself, past the Sadler's Mill and Salmon Leap. Cordelia smelled the fishy scent as their carriage went by, and saw Helen's nostrils twitch as she did, too, likely recalling a similar stench from the boat, reviving her nausea. If she was about to be sick, she contained her unease and her cheeks remained a not-quite-healthy but not too sickly pallid shade.

They pulled up to a semi-circular driveway of pebbles packed into a concrete surface. The bumpy aspect of the ride concluded as the vehicle glided along, before stopping a few feet from a set of big black doors. Here, the fish odor evaporated, replaced with a fresh pine and woods scent. The carriage doors opened, and as Cordelia poked her head out, she noticed the greenery all around. Flowers sprouting from chunky bushes lining the manor's foundations, high hedges surrounding the property, and in the distance, tall trees swayed in a slight breeze. She recalled passing a river, the Test, that Lord Read had pointed out, indicating it was nearly in his backyard and that the children enjoyed visiting it often.

Children? He seems a bit old to be having children, still.

She set aside her judgment—for now—and remained silent.

"Welcome to Read Manor," said Lord Read, who'd hopped out before the ladies. He'd adjusted his suit, tucking his shirt deep into his trousers before re-buttoning his jacket. It was as if he was trying to hide his bulging belly, stuffing it behind layers of fabrics. Cordelia wondered why he bothered; it was impossible to conceal.

Lord Read didn't help them out; it was his manservant, who'd shimmied out through the other door, who offered his hand to assist Cordelia and then Helen in descending from the carriage.

Cordelia fought a snicker—a real gentleman usually helped ladies out of a vehicle. She glanced up at the decently sized manor sitting before her. It was four stories high, though it was hard to tell for sure with the tall windows that stretched upward as if reaching for the heavens. The stone was weathered, a faded beige to charcoal gradient, and the roofs were pointed. There were many chimneys, with whiffs of smoke coming out of their tops.

It was a picturesque place, charming and appealing, and yet Cordelia hesitated to approach it.

Before she could make up her mind, the doors blasted open, and several young children busted out, hurdling up to Lord Read. If surprised, he didn't show it, and scooped one of the children up into his arms, spinning them around. Long gone was the snooty, snide man Cordelia had listened to insulting her heritage and demeaning her lineage. Here was a man pleased, cheeks infused with a happy glow, smile widening as he cradled the child.