First Day

You entered through the doors of the lab, excited for your first day. You've been training for this moment for almost 2 years now and you were ready for what was to come. You walked around with your friend Norm. He's been training for 5 years, so he was of course more skilled than you. As you both kept walking, you met a guy in a wheel chair. He looked oddly familiar to both you and Norm so you went up to him. Norm went up first, shaking his hand.

"Hey, you're Jake right? Tom's brother? Wow, you look just like him. Sorry, I'm Norm Spellman, I went through training with him."

"I'm Zaria." I said shaking his hand. "Is this your first day?"

"Yea" Jake said with a sigh.

I looked up at Norm who looked down at me. You remembered Tom and the great memories you had with him. He was super fun to hangout with. You three always trained together, even in the darkest of times. After his death, it wasn't the same anymore.

All three of you went to the capsules were your Avatars were in.

"Hey welcome. Welcome to Pandora. Good to have you." a guy named Max said, shaking each of our hands.

"Damn they got big." Jake said in shock.

"Yeah, they fully mature on the flight out." I told him while looking at my avatar. I then turn around to see Jake looking at his. Jake looked at his avatar in awe, as we smiled at his expression.

"Looks like him." Jake said as his smile faded a bit.

"No, looks like you. This is your avatar now, Jake." Norm told him as he walked behind Jake.

I saw Jake's smile form once again. It was nice seeing Tom's brother. He'd always go on and on about Jake when he was still around.

————
Time Skip:
We were setting up some of our belongings while Jake was talking into a camera for his video log.

"Do I really have to do this?" Jake questioned while turning to both Norm and I.

"It's good for science." Norm told him.

"Log off for now. It's time to meet your boss." Max said to Jake. Norm and I both looked at each other in excitement as we knew who our boss was. We went to the link room which wasn't too far from where we stayed.

"Grace Augustine is a legend. She's the head of the Avatar Program, and she wrote the book - I mean literally wrote the book - on Pandoran botany." Norm exclaimed as he told Jake. Norm and I have heard many things about Dr. Augustine and he of course started to fanboy over her. As we continued to walk we saw her getting out of one of the capsules. She walked towards us, looking at Norm first.

"Grace, this is Norm Spellman, Zaria Lee, and Ja-" Max was about to finish but got cut off by Grace.

She was talking to Norm in the Na'vi language. She told him that he sounded a bit formal but his Na'vi wasn't bad.

"Zaria. I heard many great things about you considering that you've been only training for about 2 years now. How's your Na'vi?"

"It is nice to meet you Dr. Grace Augustine. It is a pleasure to be here."

"Not bad. Your Na'vi sounds very good considering your short amount of training. You have been training well I see." Grace says to me as I smile a bit.

She then looked at Jake. She looked a bit sad yet disappointed as she looked at him.

"Where is Tom Sully? You know, the PhD who's been training 3 years for this mission?" She asks while looking up at Max.

"He's dead. I know it's an inconvenience for everyone." Jake says to Grace. He sounded a bit heartbroken, sad, but he held it back.

"Any lab work?" She asks him.

"I've dissected a frog once." He answered. Norm and I both turned away in embarrassment for Jake but we tried our best to hold in our laughs.

"You see? You see? They're pissing on us without even the courtesy of calling it rain. I'm going to Selfridge." She says walking out of the room. Max tried talking to her but she continued to storm off and Max came walking back. We all sigh and I turn to look at Jake. Max said some things to him before also taking off. I then walk to Jake, his head hung low in embarassment. I pat him on the back and spoke to him.

"Try your best tomorrow. Just don't say or do anything stupid that'll piss Grace off. I'm sure you'll do great." I tell him. Norm and I go to our bunk first, Jake following afterwards. Tomorrow is going to be one hell of a day.