Chapter 5: Irresistible

AN:  TRIGGER WARNING!!!

[THIS CHAPTER HAS SOME VIOLENT AND GRAPHIC IMAGERY USED. SOME READERS MAY FIND THIS TRIGGERING. DO NOT READ IF YOU MAY FIND YOURSELF TRIGGERED.]

Chapter 5: Irresistible

"Can I ask you a question?" Izaad asked as his voice wobbled.

It had been eleven weeks since the initial accident and since then, Izaad had practically become a piece of their furniture. Sania was not complaining. He was a breath of fresh air to their lives. Haaris was more than excited when Izaad was around, but he was also more child-like, carefree, and happy.

Sania could not bear the difference in her son. She hadn't realised that by her shouldering everything it had made Haaris feel like he had to be a grown up as well. She always thought that it was part of his personality, not that he was so mature because he had to be. It made her feel like a failure.

Sania looked around the room and noticed Haaris was missing. "Can I check on Haaris first?"

"Sure," he said as he picked up the pizza boxes he brought and went to throw them away.

When Sania returned from putting Haaris to bed, she found Izaad sitting comfortably on the armchair. "Sorry, for the interruption earlier. You said you wanted to ask a question?" her voice was high and nervous.

He nodded. His expression turned grave. Izaad felt his heart twist as his palms became sweaty. He didn't want to offend her and lose out on her friendship.

Sania felt her insides twist painfully, her heartbeat rose and rose unsteadily. She knew what was coming. And she dreaded it. Her hands were clammy and her face flushed. Sania knew that she owed Izaad the truth. The truth... that made her stomach churn.

Izaad, more than anyone else she ever knew, earned the truth. After all, Izaad was the reason that she was still alive. Izaad had taken care of her son. Izaad... Izaad...

"I don't mean to pry or be inquisitive. I am merely curious, and if this question offends you –" Izaad's own nervousness made her feel at ease.

"Izaad!" she laughed. "Just ask your question."

"I've been here for several weeks now, and I haven't noticed your husband..."

She raised an eyebrow.

"I was just wondering what happened?" Izaad continued.

Sania sighed as tears welled up in her eyes. She contemplated whether or not to tell him the truth. "I was never married," she whispered. Sania waited for a gasp, or sound out of Izaad, something to let her know that he judged her.

"So, he just left you when he found out you were pregnant? He didn't do the honourable thing?" Izaad fumed lividly.

"Hey, guys," Jason called out. "It's like 11 o' clock, we need to call it a night," he said as he held back a yawn.