Chapter 8: Radiant

Chapter 8: Radiant

"Well," Izaad said conversationally.

"That Haaris is an angel," Mohammed replied. Izaad held his tongue back. As a child that grew up in a household that had strict rules for every miniscule thing, it shocked him to hear his father be open...about a stranger.

They were minutes away from Izaad's new home. As soon as they pulled into the long driveway, Maryam leaned forward, placed her small hand on his shoulder. "Izaad, come inside and let us discuss the last two hours," she said firmly.

Izaad nodded. His mother knew him well enough to know that he would disappear for several more hours. He loved his parents, but he tolerated them best in small doses.

After allowing them to get out at his front door, he went around and parked the car in the garage. Izaad had invited his parents to his home for Eid, for them to see his house. It had been four months since he purchased the six-bedroom home. Six bedrooms, four en-suites, two lounges, a dining room, pool and spacious garden.

The crunch of his boot hitting the bricks made him stop and take a breath. He knew what was about to happen, and he wasn't nervous. He was at ease. At peace.

"Izaad!" his father called, sitting in the formal lounge.

"On my way," he answered as he pulled his leather jacket off and hung it over the edge of the glass table he had in the foyer.

His mother was already seated next to his father on the love seat. Izaad sat on the one directly across and stretched his legs out. "So," Maryam said demurely. Her legs were crossed at her ankles. "I like her, Izaad."

"Really?" he questioned with a raised eyebrow.

"Yes, Izaad," she said exasperatedly. "Sania is a wonderful woman."

"You would be lucky to have her as a wife," his father said.

"And you do not mind Haaris..." he clarified.

"Of course not! Don't be a fool," his father said angrily.

"And you – both of you – will treat him as if he is my flesh and blood?" Izaad questioned. "Because that is my fear. If Sania accepts my proposal, the way everyone treats Haaris will be determining my relationship with them. Haaris is a package deal and I hold him in a high esteem. Sure, he is five years old, but he is so intelligent."

Izaad watched as his father's eyes darkened. "Neither she nor Haaris is to be blamed for what happened that night, Izaad."

"So, yes," Maryam added to her husband's words. "Yes. We understand that Haaris is hers. Yours. He is our grandchild, Izaad. The minute your Nikkah is signed, he will be our grandchild. His parentage does not matter to us. You love them and we love you. Nothing will change that."

"Even though you know that they are not wealthy?"

Mohammed sighed irritably. "Look, son, we are proud of you. We are proud to see all your accomplishments, to know that you have built this with your own perseverance. Your stubbornness and dedication come from my side of the family. Perhaps, I was foolish in my younger days, Izaad, but I only wish to see you happy, son."