Walking On the Moon {Chapter 3}

Warnings: violence, derealization, hospital mention 

Word count: 968

~~~~~~~~~~~

In the sidecar, slowly trailing behind the cops that took Steven, I sigh.

Whoever this Steven is, he seems pretty nice.

He might have amnesia and doesn't remember his past life.

"Or maybe his mind has been fractured," a deep voice echos in my head. A voice I've heard all my life but never questioned.

The car in front of stops near a wharf. Layla slows down and hides the bike in an alleyway and motions for me to be stealthy.

One hand on the top of my cane, ready to pull it out and stab someone if need be.
We spot Steven being led around by this man with mid length grey hair and he's got a cane like me. He's fairly attractive.

Layla, pulling the scarab out of her pocket, starts inching closer. I hear snippets of people's conversations, but that's not important.

"I am real justice!" the dee voice says again.

Random but whatever

I slowly follow Layla, feeling as though someone is watching me

"Where's the scarab?" the man asks.

Layla stands on a box so she can be seen, lifting the scarab up high, "I have it."

"You couldn't possibly understand the value of what you're holding. Let me have that, I'll keep it safe," the man says

"Summon the suit," Layla says.

"Sorry, what?" Steven asks.

"Summon the suit,"

"'Summon the soup'? What are you saying?"

"The suit. Summon it," I echo.

"The suit?"

Layla hands him the scarab, "And keep this safe."

"So be it," the evil man says.

We run as we fight, Steven still hasn't summoned the suit, but he's trying. I pull out my cane sword for protection. The man who wanted the scarab kind of scared me. We enter a room that looks extremely run down.

"Here. Bolt the door," Layla instructs us.

"Oh, my God. I'm going to die in an evil magician's man cave," Steven cries out.

"No. Hey. Listen to me. Listen to me," Layla starts, grabbing onto Steven's shoulders.

There's pounding on the door.

"Your name is Marc. There's a suit. I've seen you use it. You bring it out,"

"No," Steven pleas.

"Where are you? We need you to fight," I beg, knowing full well that even though I act intimidating, I'm all talk. 

"No. I can't. Stop, please, both of you," his voice breaks, "Please, stop."

"Listen to me. Your name is Marc,"

Loud thudding on the door causes me to shudder.

"Where the hell are you? You need to fight!" I tell him, looking him in the eyes.

Please stop. Leave me alone, both of you!" He says again.

"Hey! You can do this, I promise," Layla says in a hushed tone you use on a small child.

"I can't. I can't. I'm sorry, I can't. I can't do it," he apologizes, tears brimming in his eyes. Layla nods and the wood on the door splinters.

"It's all right. Okay. We'll just find another way. Come on. Come on, let's go," Layla tells him and a chunk of the door is removed.

"Jackal. Jackal. Jackal!" Steven yells in a frenzy, pointing to a huge dog. We run away from the jackal.

"What jackal?" Layla asked.

"You can't see that!?" I exclaim, holding out my sword in defense.

"Jackal. Jackal..." Steven hyperventilates.

"Summon the suit!" the deep voice says again and I look in the direction and see this... white bird thing. And he's staring at me. Unfortunately, we have bigger problems than this bird.

While Steven in this super cool white wedding like suit, fights the jackal, I scan the area for bad guys.

The old man with the cane surveys the scene from afar.

The bird walks up to me, "Kill him."

Taken aback, I find myself walking up to him, sword in hand.

"I know of you," he says.

"No you don't," I scoff.

"Amaris Choska Spector. 8th grader at Tuskmoth Junior High. Quite the troublemaker," he says.

"That stuff is probably all over the internet," I say.

"Sure, but the reason you were disabled wasn't," he grins in an evil way.

Then he grabs my arms and balances his cane on our connected hands. Surprised, I drop my sword, unable to move.

He looks at a scale tattoo on his arm which starts to tilt.

Then I feel myself getting pulled away. The bird man!

"Now I see the reason behind your name..." the man says, "That old bird." He scoffs and then Moon Knight in his usual outfit instead of the fancy suit comes over and tries to fight the man but he's surrounded.

"Are you okay?" he asks in an American accent.

"Yeah. What happened to Steven?" I ask.

"It's my turn," he says and he punches a bunch of cronies, letting me have a small window to escape.

I spot Layla who punched some guy in the nose, causing it to bleed and the guy to fall over.
I glance at a roof where the bird man is surveying the situation while being enveloped in moon light.

Who is the bird man? Because I think Steven can see him, too. Maybe my dad can, too.

"Amaris, come on," Layla motions to me.

Why did that man say he knew the reason for my disability? He must be toying with me, trying to get into my head.

Not many people knew and the doctors were very discreet, following the rules of HIPAA. I don't think Layla knows since she wasn't around when it happened.

I follow Layla into the alley where the motorcycle is and we get in, waiting for Steven. Or Marc. Whoever he is

"Where is he?" Layla mumbles under breath.

"What even was that scarab?" I asked.

"It's like a map to the Egyptian goddess, Ammit's tomb," she says.

"The goddess of divine retribution, right?" 

She nods her head, "With her power in the wrong hands, it could be a massacre."

We see the man with the cane walking down the street by himself as he bends over to pick up the scarab Steven must have dropped.

"Marc is definitely going to go to Egypt," Layla whispers to me.

This trip has just become a mission.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: Yes, I'm attracted to Ethan Hawke. Are we going to talk about it? No.