Cult Leader Paranoia {Chapter 8}

Warnings: major character death, guns, death, fighting, parent death, emotional damage, other stuff? it's a big chapter so

Word count: 1552

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Layla guides me through the tunnels until we spot Steven. He turns around, looking quite excited when he sees us.

He's standing in a victory pose, next to a sarcophagus that's been opened. Once the distance between us is smaller, Steven reveals what's in his hand.

"Layla, Amaris, look. We won!" He explains, laughing, "And the ushabti goes to us. I had to go digging down old Alexander the Great's gullet, but I found it." He pauses, noticing Layla isn't as excited as he, "You all right, love?"

 "Can he hear me?" she asks, catching Steven off guard with the strange question.

"Alexander? I don't think so. God, I hope not," Steven chuckles.

"What happened to my father? I'm talking to you," she says to Marc I assume. This is their problems and I'm not a part of it. I'm staying out of it.

I slowly walk back the way I came, looking at all the wonderful art left behind by those who made the tomb. I hear my parent's argument fade away into nothing as I get farther and farther away.

I hear a sound and duck behind a nearby box where the wood has been rotted from sitting there 2000 or so years.

Arthur Harrow and several of his cult goonies stride by, on their way to where my parents are. I try to stay hidden. He whispers to someone and soon, they're gone. I sneak behind them, following from a bit away.

Harrow and his men are surrounding my father; I don't see Layla. Harrow is saying something to him but I just can't quite make it out. After a minute of talking, Harrow pulls out a gun and shoots my dad who falls, slumped in the water.

Dead.

They move his body out of the water and onto solid ground. It hasn't hit me yet.

He'll be okay, right? 

Harrow and his gang head out and I realize I'm out in the open. Aaaand they've spotted me. Panic ensues in me as I try to get away, tripping on my own feet.

One of them yells something in a language I do not know and faster than I can react, they've grabbed me. And the rest is all a blur.

I remember struggling and being knocked out.

After a long time of darkness and loud ringing, I feel my vision returning. 

"Good morning," I hear a blurry figure say. The rumbling of several vehicles pulls me further into consciousness. I'm in a car or a Jeep. I don't know the difference.

The blurry figure transforms into Arthur Harrow and I panic, looking around frantically for a way out but only seeing sand for miles and we're moving too fast for me to get off.

"It's best if you stay here, where you're sitting," Harrow says.

"Where- what happened?" I ask.

He sighs, glancing off into the distance, "I'm sorry... it may not have occurred to you but Marc, or Steven or whatever name he goes by, is dead."

"Yeah, you killed him," I glare.

"All for a greater cause, Amaris..." he says.

"'And little Amaris knows not the truth of her lineage'... what do you mean by that?" I demand.

"Ah, I was beginning to wonder when you were going to ask... It took me a bit to figure this out, but Khonshu? That god... h-he had something to do with your creation... and it's a shame you can't ask him what part he played. But, he's your father," he says.