chapter 6 - Cairo

The day after Marc spector took the first plane to Cairo. Of course Finley joined him trying to support her new friend which Marc seemed to appreciate even if he insisted on doing it alone. They meet up early in the London airport...

"Hey Marc I'm over here" Finley smiled and waved at him. Marc glanced over at her- he wasn't at all excited at the prospect he had to go to Egypt once again and risk his life to safe humanity but what other choice did he had. On his way across the terminal he heard Stevens voice and noticed the outline of his reflection in the shiny floors of the airport. " She's really nice isn't she" Steven said in his English accent " you've got a friend already". Marc groaned and walked faster. When he finally reached Finley he stopped at tilted his head "you seem chipper...you know why were here right?" Finley nods " I'm aware. I just never really got the chance to do much in my life. I have all this money and never did anything with it-" she paused when she saw the look on Marc's face. "i- I didn't mean to brag- I just uh... You know....I should stop talking" feeling embarrassed Finley hurried to the gate, behind her Seth's booming voice could be heard " I have to say, seeing you humans interact with eachother is really amusing. It's always a pleasure to see them trying to converse in their strange ways ".

Finley rubbed her face " shut up please. I'm trying okay? I'm not good with social interactions. You should know that- you're basically my roommate!" She looked over her shoulder to glare at the god. She boarded the plane first and sat down on a window seat. When Marc approached and sat next to her in silence she bit her lip and looked out the window when she saw a glimpse of Steven in the reflection " don't mind him. He's really rude..." Steven said and smiled slightly and Finley chuckled " you're definitely much nicer than him. I feel bad for Layla " Finley uttered and Marc coughs next to her. The first hour of the flight was very awkward, eventually Marc fell asleep during and Finley looked down on her phone. She's been listening to music but when she heard steven voice she paused it and focused on the window. " So ... You've been pretty lonely too your whole life huh? I can relate " he added and Finley chuckled sadly " well... After my parents died I just was living alone in our home and since I inherited all of my family's wealth I didn't really had to work or socialize... Really pathetic of me huh?" Steven titled his head " well... I think you're a nice person. If I were in your situation I'd probably do the same " he said awkwardly and fin smiled again. A few minutes later Finley also fell asleep during the rest of the long flight.

When they arrived in Cairo it was burning hot and the air was quite thick. Outside of the airport Finley put her hands up to shield her eyes from the sun " wow.... This is really different from London". Behind her Seth could be heard chuckling " it's good to be back here ". Finley looked around to be faced with Marc's Grimm expression " let's go to the hotel " he uttered and called for a taxi. Finley sighs and followed him not wanting to annoy Marc any further. Once they were at the hotel Marc immediately dissapeared into his room. Finley looked after him and opened her own door and made her way to the balcony overlooking the pyramids. She took a deep breath and leaned against the railing and closed her eyes for a second before she heard khonshu's voice " don't mind Marc to much. He can be quite a handful sometimes" khonshu appears next to Finley and looked down and the human " you look upset. Do you want to.... Explain why?" Khonshu said awkwardly wanting to cheer Finley up but not really knowing how. Finley starred at him for a while and then sighs frustrated " it's just.... Ever since my parents died and Seth choose me to be his avatar I don't know what to do with my life. Sometimes Seth uses me to do his biddings but...most of the Time I don't know what to do with myself. I can't talk very well with other people even if I want to... I isolated myself for a long time even tho I could do so much more with my life. I feel so pathetic... Until now I never did something great or meaningful and now I have the chance to safe the world from a crazy cult of some crocodile goddess.. it's almost surreal" Finley looked at khonshu again " I don't expect you to understand my feelings.... You're a god afterall... You surely have better things to do instead of listening to a puny human complaining about her shortcomings in life " Finley gazed at the pyramids with another sigh and leaned her head down.

Khonshu was silent. He felt a weird compassion for her and even some kind of understandment. He looked at the sky " we all look for some kind of fulfillment in life. Yours is just more difficult to reach than expected... I knew a lot of humans during my time here but you are the first one I actually feel some sort of attachment to. I don't know what it is ... But I can assure you that you will find your calling in life definitely sooner or later. Just like my calling is to protect those who can't protect themselves and punish those who deserve it". Khonshu heard a chuckle and Finley lifted her head up " this sounds very sappy and philosophical but I know what you mean... You're great lord khonshu " she smiled and turned to walk into her room but stopped for a brief moment and laid her hand on Khonshu's arm and looked up at him " thanks for the advice " she said quickly and walked into her room. Khonshu didn't move for a while and starred into the direction he left in. Something inside him wanted to made him follow her but then he shook his head and dissapeared again.