2.19

Amma's House

"Farhad, everything is done, right?" Raghav asked Farhad as he cut the call after discussing the notes his research team had sent to him for a quick look before the meeting scheduled at the dinner and followed both the ladies who had walked inside the house a few minutes ago.

"Haan Anna, Shetty said everything is ready, they could not complete the separate kitchen at the small notice but if you say I can arrange a night shift of laborers who would complete the work by morning." Farhad had already handled the situation very well.

"No, no need I don't want Amma to enter a noisy house with the first night spent cursing the sounds of hammer and drill." Raghav made a face.

"so I understood that is why thought to first ask you." Farhad smiled.

"do you feel something different in the weather today?" Raghav could feel a strange serenity in the air.

"Haan Anna, the humidity is increasing, even the sun felt strong this evening...I guess

"Chitti... tu rehne de." Raghav stopped Farhad's trail of praises for the uncomfortably hot day.

*****

"Amma, which clothes to pack? Is there something in the kitchen that you need to...

"Paallavi , ye sab kya kar raha hai tum?" Jaya came out of the washroom after washing her face and changing from the beige silk saree to a white cotton one.

"Why did you change Amma, was it stained ?" referring to the Silk Saree Pallavi enquired.

"No no I felt sweaty in that one and who better than you know, Silks are kept with utmost care." Jaya smiled moving to the cupboard and getting a hanger to hang the saree.

"but I meant..." Pallavi could not understand Jaya's actions, if they were leaving then they had to pack Amma's stuff, right! Amma could have changed after reaching RR mansion.

"achha Paallavi, I could not get the opportunity to give you this at that time, and later we went out so here..." taking one of her slender wrists Jaya put two crisp notes on the palm.

"There is no need Amma...

"No arguments Pallavi, mother in laws do so many things, I am capable of this much only...

"Amma, please...

"End of the topic, I don't have something for you or Keerti but I am fortunate I have a few things for my grandchildren." Amma showed her a small marron bag and then closed the locker before closing the cupboard. 

Jaya was reminded about the time she had to sell everything that could earn them some money but she kept the jewelry that belonged to her small kids.

Pallavi had bent to touch to take her blessings when Jaya stopped her, " Girls know but to bring it in the habit is the thing we saas do to their bahus, now no more fast walks, running is a strict no and no bending and no heavy weight lifting..."

"Yes, Maam." Pallavi imitated a small kid happy about this new something they were going to experience.

"Tum dono idhar hi hai to aaj sham ka Aarti sath kar lete hain..." Jaya opened the windows of the room.

"But Amma, what about your packing?" Pallavi asked at the same moment both of them entered the living room and Raghav crossed the threshold of the house.

"Paallavi, abhi kaise chal sakta hai main...

"What do mean Amma, abhi nahi chalega to kab" Raghav was confused at his mother's behavior now. They had visited the temples together, Amma paid the deities' prayers about the well-being of the coming baby, they even had their dinner together and now she was saying she can't come with them.