08.

• • •

it wasn't you I was kissing
—don't be mistaken
it was him on my mind
your lips were just convenient

-rupi kaur

• • •

"Why haven't I heard from you?" Andrea spoke over the shoulders of customers, who were waiting in line for their prescriptions at the pharmacy "It's been weeks now, and you wonder why I randomly pop up at your job Lauri."

"I'm sorry," she sighed and frantically dispensed a variety of medications to the customers, she waited to proceed with the conversation until after clearing the people from their presence "I've just been taking some time off, I wasn't feeling well."

Laurielle hadn't told anyone about her substance abuse, not even her own family knew of her dismay— and she preferred to keep it that way. She wasn't too fond of being lectured or even judged for what she chose to do, so the only person who truly knew about her slight addiction was Cameron.

"Well don't ever feel like you can't call me, you know I'm all for taking care of you. What, was it like a stomach bug or something? A cold? What was wrong with you?"

Laurielle's lips parted a bit as she attempted to muster up some words to explain, luckily she had been saved by the delivery man who works for a florist, "I've got another arrangement for you Ms.Erves."

"I see..." she sighed before pinching the bridge of her nose "Just set them there at the edge of the counter please, thank you."

"Who are these from?" Andrea furrowed her eyebrows together, and then read the note attached to the vase "When I want to smile I know exactly what to do, I close my eyes and think of you, Cam.... CAM!?"

"I can explain,"

"Oh please do! Don't tell me the two of you are back together Lauri, after everything that dog has done to you, the way he mistreated and cheated on you—"

"Drea..." Laurielle tried to speak but she kept going

"He left you all alone while he moved on with some gold digging ass slut, not to mention—"

"Andrea alright I know," she said seeming agitated with the past "Cam was just there for me while I was recovering, and of course he still has this soft spot for me... but nothing happened between us."

"I'm still confused though, I thought you had all of your attention on August? What happened with him? Does he know that Cameron is sending you flowers?"

"I haven't spoken to August for weeks now, he won't return any of my calls. I fear that something terrible has happened with him, but I haven't been feeling ballsy lately— I would've gone to visit. I don't want to impose though, if he wanted me around or to even know anything he would've requested that. I'm giving him his space, because August isn't like most guys."

"While I understand what you're saying, I'm not understanding why you're entertaining Cam in the midst of August's disappearing acts, allowing him to cater to you, accepting his flowers? Do they even know about each other?"

"I mentioned Cameron to August, he knows about my whole situation." she then massaged her temples "Cameron doesn't know about August though..."