Chapter 1: Handmade Gifts

Hi, this is Mina. You've reached my voicemail. Please leave a message after the beep.

BEEP!

"Hey Mina, this is Lils. I have something super fun to tell you! Me and George are going on a vacation soon, and we want you to come with us! I have to be honest, it is going to be kind of a working vacation. We're planning on going with some other streamers to collaborate, but we are going to have plenty of time to sightsee and hang out. We're planning on leaving the 28th, so you should already be on summer break. Let me know if you can come. Bye!"

Hi, this is Mina. You've reached my voicemail. Please leave a message after the beep.

BEEP!

"Hey Mina, this is Lils again. It's been five days since I called so I was just checking in. I hope you'll be able to come. Bye!"

Hi, this is Mina. You've reached my voicemail. Please leave a message after the beep.

BEEP!

"Mina, this is Lils. Please call me back, I'm worried about you. I know it's been rough since your sister died, believe me I know. I miss her so much, but I promised her I would look out for you. You don't even have to come on the trip if you don't want to, just call me back. Bye."

Hi, this is Mina. You've reached my voicemail. Please leave a message after the beep.

BEEP!

"Mina, if you don't call me back I am going to steal your cat and you won't see her until after I get back. Call m-"

"Don't you dare steal Nuggs" I blurted out as I picked up the phone.

"Ha! I knew that would be the way to get you to pick up the phone. How are you doing?" she asked me.

"I just miss her so much. I didn't realize how many things reminded me of her until she was gone. Sometimes I'll just be eating something she liked to eat and just get flooded with memories of her. I don't know, that sounds stupid," I mumbled. The other day I had gone out to lunch with my aunt and ordered a chicken sandwich, forgetting that was what my sister always used to order.

"Do not say that, Mina. That is completely valid, there are definitely going to be some things that remind you of her," she reassured me, "And you don't need to come on the trip, I don't want to pressure you into anything."

"Well, why don't you tell me more about it," I said, curling up on the couch with Nuggs, who hopefully is now safe.

"Sure! We're all flying to California, it's going to be so much fun! We're going to rent a big Air BnB, and you can have your own room! We have a ton of activities planned already, and maybe one day we can have a spa day just the two of us," she explained.

"That does sound nice. I don't remember the last time I went on vacation."

"Then you should definitely come, what do you say?" she asked.

"I think I will," I decided, walking to my computer to start looking at flights.  "Is there anything specific I should take with me?"

"I'll text you a list. I'm so excited!" she squealed.

"Ok, I'll talk to you later. Bye."

"Bye!"

After I hung up the phone, I started to think about what I need to pack, which let's be honest, is pretty overwhelming. I need to have clothes that are good for warm weather since it will be summer, but what if it gets cold at night? What if it gets rainy? Why do I always pack way more socks and underwear than I ever need? Are we going out to dinner? Should I bring fancy clothes?