Chapter 3: The Audacity

Am I actually going insane? Did I hit my head when I was boarding the plane and enter an alternate dimension? How is Nick here? Why is Nick here?

Before I could say anything he slammed the door in my face. The audacity of that guy! I slumped down on the steps by the door, unsure of what to do next. I've never been on my own in a big city before, let alone one as large as Los Angeles. I began to pull out my phone to call Lils to ask her if she sent the wrong address, but I heard muffled voices inside the house so I pressed my ear up to the door.

"Who the...is that?" I guess they're talking about me.

"What...do?" Should I just leave?

"I...know," What do they know?

"Maybe...wait...Lils," Wait a minute, did they just say Lils? I backed up from the door and got out my phone, dialing Lils' number.

"Lils..." I began, pacing back and forth.

"Are you here?!" she squealed.

"Did you send me the right address?"

"Uh, let me look real quick." I could hear some sort of rustling in the background as she looked through her purse. "Yeah, why?"

"Can you or Mark let me in?" I asked.

"We're picking up some lunch from the grocery store near the house. Just knock on the door and one of they guys will let you in."

"That's the problem. I went to the house and knocked on the door, but someone I was talking to on the plane opened the door and then closed it in my face," I explained, sitting on my suitcase.

"Wait, who?"

"He said his name was Nick. Do you know him?"

"Yes I know him!" she yelled.

"Oh my god," I said covering my ears, "Please don't yell right into the phone."

"I'm so sorry, but yeah I know him, he's one of my friends. What was he doing in Texas, though? He already lives in Florida. Let me go, I'm gonna call Nick real quick and explain what's happening."

"Thanks bye."

"Bye," she said right before she hung up. I decided to just sunbathe while I waited, so I put on my sunglasses and leaned up against my suitcase while making sure that Nuggs had enough water. Right after I filled up her water dish the front door opened back up.

"So you said your friend does marketing?" I looked up to see Nick with his arms crossed and smirking at me.

"Apparently as much as you play test video games," I moved my glasses up to look at him.

"Hey, I basically do play testing, I'm just not employed by the company. I'm my own boss," he protested.

"Oh, ok. Mr. I'm My Own Boss, can I come inside now?"

"Yeah, sorry about all of that." He offered me his hand, pulling me up and holding the door open for me. I gathered up all of my stuff and headed inside.

"So, Lils told me where you room is so I can show you if you want." Nick stopped in the entryway and looked at me expectantly.

"Yeah that sounds good."

"It's on the second floor, do you want me to carry your suitcase?" he asked. I looked at my suitcase, practically bursting at the seams.

"Please, if you don't mind. I don't have that much upper arm strength," I laughed.

"Then consider me your designated heavy lifter for the trip. It's the least I can do for being so rude to you earlier." He lifted up the suitcase, not easily I may add. "What the hell did you put in this?" He began to drag the suitcase up the stairs one by one, making loud thumping sounds.