chapter two

I had changed into more dinner appropriate attire from my tattered t-shirt and ripped jean shorts

I had changed into more dinner appropriate attire from my tattered t-shirt and ripped jean shorts. I put on some jeans and a tan top with a white cardigan over top. Ellen prepared Luke's favorite meal, lasagna and asparagus, and the large sum of us enjoyed every last bite. Jack and I had a bonfire going in the back corner of his yard where we had set up a beer pong table and put Jack's shitty fake I.D. to good use at the corner store down the street.

"You know you can cut the act, right?" Jack said.

"Excuse me?"

"The little cardigan-girl-cutesie Ms. Delicate." Jack smiled. "Elle, we've been friends for two years and you only dress like a librarian when you feel like you have to impress. Go steal a hoodie from my room and get comfortable, my family left for the most part. Besides that shit looks itchy." He commented on my sweater.

"Yeah, it is." I laughed, jogging toward the house to head up to Jack's room.

"Woah, you leaving Elle?" Luke said from the couch with his Nan as I passed.

"No, just going to steal a sweatshirt from your brother." I said.

"Oh good, get outta the monkey suit." Luke smiled.

"It's not a monkey suit ya dunce." Nan smacked his leg. "You look great dear."

"Thank you."

"I wasn't saying she looked bad Nan! That's just not how Elle dresses." Luke laughed.

"Well keep your opinions to yourself, Elizabeth can dress however she sees fit." Nan winked at me.

"Clearly you remember Elle, so I'll just make myself useful and go out back and throw myself down the stairs." Luke smiled sarcastically before standing up.

"Before you do that can you get me a glass of water? I'm parched." Nan said.

"Of course." Luke obliged as I made my escape up the stairs.

I was tugging an old black PCEP hoodie over my head when my phone started ringing and it displayed Johnny's face.

"Hey." I answered.

"Hi, you still here? I just pulled up." Johnny asked.

"Yeah, I'll be right down."

"Down? Why are you up?"

"Johnny, relax. Borrowing a hoodie." I laughed.

"Okay, Case and Boldy are with me."

I hung up and went downstairs and out the front door onto the porch, standing with my hands in the pocket of Jack's hoodie.

"Oh-oh it's Rowdy's girl!" Case teased at the sight of me, earning a smack on the back of the head from my brother. "Ah, jesus christ it was a joke."

"Well shut up." Johnny said, locking his truck as he walked up the steps and hugged me.