18

Steve jogged towards the helicopter parked out under the sun. It was out of the shade of the airport buildings enough to be exposed, but still close for them to all climb onboard quickly. Behind him, Basil walked leisurely. Steve was almost five feet away from the copter when a metal disk hit the side and visible tangles of electricity fizzled, frying the circuits. The helicopter was useless now. Steve glanced up to see Tony hovering over head. The gold of the ironman suit glinting in the sunlight as he swooped down. Rhodes in his American patriot armour following just behind. Their metal boots landed with two sets of thuds. "Wow", Tony voiced through his helmet. "How you run into people at the airport. Don't you think that's weird?" he asked, turning to Rhodes as his helmet unfolded back. There was still the purple bruising from a black eye round his cheek. 

"Definitely weird", Rhodes responded. Basil kept walking until he was at Steve's side. The material of his shield tactical uniform clinging to his form like a second skin. All black with kevlar and buckles. It was almost like a cross between Steve's costume and Bucky's. Black but the cut more similar to Steve's rather than Bucky's. Basil liked this one more than the other uniforms he had tried (stolen and ruined over the years). 

He rested his weight on one leg and crossed his arms . "Hey Rhodes", he nodded. "How have you been? Haven't seen you in what? A few years? We should get a drink sometime".

"Hey Basil", the grey helmet nodded. 

Steve sighed next to him and Basil rolled his eyes. "Just hear me out Tony. The doctor, the psychiatrist. He's behind all of this". He didn't get to continue as a black form leapt down from the roof of a nearby truck. The man landed in a crouch, catlike just like his suit. 

"Captain", T'Challa greeted. 

"Your highness". 

"Hi T'Challa", Basil waved. "You given any thought to what I said?"

"Corporal", The black panther mask nodded. 

"Eighty fucking years and I still have not been promoted", Basil huffed under his breath. "And now I'm a criminal. I guess they should have promoted me while they had the chance".

"Anyway", Tony stated loudly, bringing the conversation back on track. He began walking slowly in a circle around them. "While I agree with you, Basil, about that long overdue promotion. Ross gave me thirty six hours to bring you all in". Basil raised his hand. He felt, rather than heard Steve sigh heavily next to him. Tony sighed too. "What? This is not a class room".

"Ross does know that you literally can't take me anywhere right? I mean, it's an impossible task if I don't want to go". 

"The psychiatrist got you", Tony pointed out. 

"That was a fluke and everyone knows it", Basil scoffed. 

Tony glared at him. "As I was saying, that was twenty four hours ago. Can the two of you help a brother out?" 

"You're after the wrong guy", Steve stated. 

"Your judgment is askew". 

"He's telling the truth though", Basil added as he inspected his gloves. 

"You!" Tony jabbed a finger at him. "Are emotionally compromised and therefore shouldn't have a say in this". 

Basil snorted loudly. "I was always emotionally compromised Tony, before you even met me. Not that is the issue here. No, the issue here is that you are upset. You think that because Stevie didn't sign the accords, that he is choosing Bucky over his friendships with the avengers. Am I wrong?" For a second of silence, everyone was blinking in complete surprise. Then he kept talking. "No, the problem here is that you are listing to government officials rather than do the right thing".