✯Chapter 5✯

Alexander sat in the ice cream shop, anxiously wait for Thomas' arrival. Why am I so nervous? What is wrong with me?  This apprehensiveness caused him an irritating stomach ache, so he tried to relax himself.  He looked out of the window—the feeling of a warm sun on his face, with the quiet but recognizable ambiance of leaves swaying in the wind was comforting. He rested his head in his hand as he closed his eyes, illustrating an image of his mother and himself, dancing in an open field of grass with a beautiful Oak tree sitting behind them. The leaves on the tree were withering in some aspects, but the colors of autumn on the former pieces of greenery with a tangerine sunset made him smile. 

The laughter and noises of merriment the children were making in shop helped create more of a joyful feel to the thought, reimagining it as the voices of him and his mother. As a result—sparking a memory, his mother's sweet words putting him at ease. "You'll be just fine. Just promise me that you'll keep your head up. I always wanna see that sweet smile on your face." Alexander opened his eyes with—not a wonderful—but better mindset. The small bell on top of the door chimed, indicating that someone came into the shop. Perfect timing.

 "Hey Alexander." Thomas chirped with a wide smile on his face—though Alexander could see right through it, he would return the smile to help him out.  "Hey Thomas." He responded, giving a small and friendly wave. "Sorry I'm late, my friend somehow guilt-tripped me into getting her some Wendy's and then the lady didn't get her order right so she cussed the hell out of her and honestly that was the funniest thing I've seen all day. Then her car ran out of gas and she ended up running into a friend in the gas station, but you don't wanna hear about that stuff. So how's your day going?" 

Alexander began to laugh but stopped after a moment, and took a double take at the last sentence he had heard. "What?" "I said how's your day going." Alex was in a slight state of shock, his couldn't remember the last time someone was genuinely interested in something so simple. 

"I'm sorry, I'm not used to being asked that question..Well, I've had a headache of a day at school. I don't wanna get into too much detail, but the only real good part about today was music class. I finally got to show off my new song, some of the lyrics were directed to some people, they were bitches about it but to be honest, I don't care for it. On my way home, some asshole drove into a muddy puddle by the sidewalk and got my whole outfit wet so that was fun. Then it turns out, James went through my phone and had to make a big deal about us hanging out so he made me wear this." He gestured towards his outfit and sighed, looking out of the window at the sudden congestion of traffic. "It was just a lot today."

"Hmm.. Well, ice cream makes everything better, right? C'mon!" Thomas jumped from his seat and quickly grabbed Alexander's hand, pulling him to the counter. The Virginian grinned ear to ear, slightly bouncing on his toes as he scanned the large menu of various types of flavors and toppings. Alexander laughed silently at his excitement and began to place his order, already having his mind set on what he wanted. "Could I have a strawberry ice cream cone please?" Thomas made somewhat of a screeching noise—prompting him to stop talking as he looked over at Alexander with a confused expression.

"What are you doing?" "Ordering my ice cream like a normal human being..?" Alex responded slowly, almost questioning himself. Thomas shook his head in disappointment. "Where's the ambition? Strawberry ice cream is so boring. Lemme show you how it's done." The woman at the cash register—still alarmed by the noise Thomas made before, slowly walked back up to the counter. "I'll have a scoop of unicorn sparkle, a scoop of cotton candy, I want them drowned in cereal bits and chocolate syrup. I want it in a cup and go a little lighter on the sprinkles will ya?" 

"I don't want diabetes, so I'll just get my strawberry ice cream cone with sprinkles." The lady emitted a small chuckle. "That'll be $17.47 please."  She placed her hand out with a large smile on her face. Alexander started to reach for his pocket but Thomas grabbed his wrist, making him pause. "Don't you dare." He gave the cashier a twenty dollar bill, and though Alex felt the need to protest, but the urge went away when he realized the money he was saving. "Thanks." Thomas just shrugged. "No problem." He stuffed the leftover change into his pocket and watched impatiently as his ice cream was being made. 

Alexander kitten-licked his ice cream in fear of his sensitive teeth being exposed to the frozen dessert. Unlike his friend, who didn't waste anytime eating large scoops of ice cream at a time. "How could you not like something like this?" Thomas asked, mouth full. Alex shivered in disgust, unable to understand how someone could digest that much sugar. "You shouldn't be eating so much sugar, it's so unhealthy." Thomas snorted. "I've never heard a teenager say something like that." He took a spoonful of his treat and placed it in front of Alexander, prodding him to take a bite. 

He shriveled his nose but reluctantly tried it. Thomas tipped the spoon upward and out of his mouth, not minding the germs like the unhealthy person he was. Alexander wanted to pretend like the flavorful pieces of cereal and the thick chocolate syrup on top of the cotton candy ice cream didn't taste like heaven on earth, the sprinkles giving off a soft and chewy contrast. "Don't you just love it?" But it was too good of sundae. Alexander just nodded and went back to eating his own ice cream.

A person in a black hoodie placed a small flyer onto the table where the two friends were sitting—not saying a word, then walking out of shop before Thomas had tried to say anything. They walked behind the building and took their hood off, the person turning out to be James. "Did they get the stupid paper thing?" James smiled. "Mhm." Peggy gave her friend a high-five, excited that their plan was flowing smoothly. The two of them ran off else where entering phase three of their scheme.

Inquisitive, Alexander picked up the flyer, quickly scanning the content. "What's that?" Thomas asked, slightly leaning over the table. "Ooo, it's about a Fair!" The older male rose his eyebrows at Alex's sudden excitement, seeing as though he had never seen him so interested in something, especially when that something is somewhat of an amusement park. "C'mon, we gotta go!" Thomas wasn't fazed—folding his arms and pursing his lips. "Why would I go to a place crowded with musty people, full of rigged—cash grab games, and horrible cotton candy. I mean I can make cotton candy in my dryer that tastes better than that shit." 

"Thomas please, it can't be that bad." Alexander's eyes sparkled with exhilaration—silently begging with his eyes like a small child, luckily the effectiveness weighted heavily on Thomas, forcing him to go along with him to the Fair. He groaned, mumbling. "Fine..fine. Let's go before I change my mind."  Alexander quietly celebrated with a quick 'Yes', taking his ice cream and running out the door. Thomas paused for a moment, rendering himself to find joy in seeing Alexander happy. He smiled sheepishly at his thoughts and walked out of the door, forgetting about his frozen treat.   

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~