1. Facts and Blood

"Sea otters hold hands while they sleep so they don't drift apart

"Sea otters hold hands while they sleep so they don't drift apart."

"Aw bless them.", I heard a very familiar voice say. I turned around to see my buddy, Uncle Ricky coming toward me.

He was a man in his early sixties, with salt and pepper hair and a beard that made him look like Santa Claus. He was wearing a brown t-shirt and khaki shorts and had a big smile on his face. He walked up to me and gave me a big hug. His kind brown eyes gleamed with joy as he looked at me. "Hey there, little buddy," he said.

"You're late." I raised an eyebrow at him. "If you forgot, let me remind you that you were supposed to be here by nine." I looked at my watch and then at him."It's already eleven."

"Sorry, buddy."

"Where were you anyway?" I asked him as I took a fresh batch of cupcakes out of the oven. The whiff of fresh-baked goodness was intoxicating. A hand came into my view and I instantly slapped it away. Uncle Ricky raised his hands in surrender."No sugar for you remember." I said sternly.

He narrowed his eyes at me and took his place at the cashier counter.

"You saw Em? This little devil didn't give me a single cupcake today too.", My heart ached when I saw him tracing the photo of his wife with his finger with a smile.

His wife Emily was the kindest woman I'd ever met. She was a bright face with a brilliant smile, and she left me with a warmth in my heart that I'd never felt before.

Everything she did and said was so full of love and kindness, it made me feel like I was home. She and Uncle Ricky gave me the love and care that I can never repay them for.

How can life be unfair with someone like her? Sometimes I wish I could have a do-over.

We lost her two years ago.

Uncle Ricky still smiles but his eyes are sad and I can tell he's struggling. He never says much but I know he thinks about her every single moment.

"Well Aunt Em told me that you're not allowed to have sugar anymore," I said and instantly he kept her photo away and looked at me with a playful glare." Now if you forgot let me remind you that you've got an appointment with the doctor today in the evening and this time I'm accompanying you."

"That's fine but you tell me how have you been?"

"I've been good. What would happen to me?" I laughed pushing my hood down to cover my face.

"Really?"

"I've been good, like, good. Like, good. Like, I've found a new hobby and actually like it. I've been good like that." I rambled and that's when I realized I messed up.

"They did it again, didn't they?" He gritted his teeth in anger." I don't understand why you're staying with them. They are hurting you, Lily." He yelled and I flinched, it was rare for him to use my name.