3. That Goddamn Voice

"Aiden, darling? What a surprise

"Aiden, darling? What a surprise."

That voice.

That goddamn voice that had somehow wormed its way into my mind and twisted my insides until I felt like I was on the verge of a heart attack in just one damn moment. It was the same voice that had called to me in the middle of last night, in my dreams, and left me feeling like I was being stabbed in the heart.

The voice that has turned my world upside down in one night.

My gaze swept over her, standing just a few steps away from me. The intoxicating smell of lavenders and roses invaded my senses and I clenched my fists to stop myself from doing anything reckless.

I was better than this.

How can this woman, this stranger, affect me so much? I had tried to forget her, push her to the furthest recesses of my mind, but she was everywhere. Every time I closed my eyes, I saw her.

All night, she was the only thing that kept on revolving in my mind. I couldn't get her out.

However hard I tried, I couldn't stop myself from following her and seeing if she reached her home safely. My feet wouldn't listen to me, no matter how much I tried to convince them that it was a bad idea. I needed to make sure she was alright. I needed to make sure that she was safe. I mean, what if something had happened to her on the way home?

Stop lying to yourself, a*shole. When have you cared about anyone?

"You know I was just telling my buddy about you. How are you now? Did you change the bandage like I asked you to?" Her warm hazel eyes shone underneath the hood she wore that covered her entire little head and most of her face. "I've been worried about you, darling."

That f*cking word.

"Aiden.", My voice came out a little strained, as if I was trying to convince myself that I was still in control. "My name is Aiden."

"I know darling.", she flashed me a smile that was way too bright for my liking. It was as if the sun had just come out and it had shone right on my face.

"Oh he speaks.", a new voice interrupted us and I looked up to see an older man standing a couple of feet away from us. He narrowed his brown eyes at me and took a defensive step closer to her."Why do you call him darling, Lily?"

Lily.

Purity. Innocence. Devotion. Ethereal.

"Because he's a darling. He didn't find my blabbering annoying, unlike most people, like you buddy." Lily's voice toned down a bit as she leaned closer to her buddy and tried to whisper but clearly failed since I heard every bit of it."And secretly I know he likes me calling him darling."

Smartass!

"You trust people very easily Lily." I heard him say and I couldn't help but agree with him. For f*ck's sake, she helped me fix myself at one in the morning, what if it was some psychopath instead of me. How can she be so trusting?