Chapter 7: Wife

She shouldn't have left him for a second. This guy would attract danger if London wasn't as safe as it was. Steven had barely escaped Khonshu's terrifyingly approach before he could almost get his head crushed by someone's bike. Gabriella fortunately got there in time, pulling Steven away before he could get himself in danger.

"Marc? Where have you been?" Seems like the woman riding the bike actually knows Marc without any knowledge of Steven Grant.

"Layla?" Steven mumbled, Gabriella tilting her head in confusion.

"You go with her Steven, I'll make sure you're not followed." Gabriella mumbled, though she already knew he wasn't, Khonshu meant no harm.

"Who's this? Is this some chick you replaced me with after everything?" Layla asked, glancing at Gabriella who shook her head.

"She's a friend." Steven says, the youngest woman (Gabriella) rolling her eyes at that.

"Get him back to his flat, or I'll gut you like a fish if something happens to Steven." Gabriella threatened, walking away to "get her car".

Or maybe not, she just stood behind a wall in great disappointment. Marc is married, well that's surprising. Khonshu was with them, he'll notify her if something happened to Steven. The ache in her heart made her laugh, she knew she'd feel like this again. Maybe falling in love wasn't really an option for her because someone might end up hurting. Either her, or someone's life would be brutally taken away from them. Steven had expressed that he wouldn't want to be in the same room as someone like her.

"You need to get back there little star, Steven wouldn't be able to fight bad guys without you. Stop hiding there and go." Khonshu's voice rung inside her ears as she walked to the nearest alleyway to teleport again.

Teleporting around places always made her feel at ease. Maybe she just liked the feeling of the air whipping her body back and forth as she appeared on places out of nowhere. She traced symbols of baybayin on the air again, watching as the blue and yellow light traced along with it. Baybayin is an ancient pre-colonial Philippine writing system. It is a member of the Brahmic family of India and is recorded as being in use in the 16th century. It continued to be used during the Spanish colonization of the Philippines up until the late 19th century. And it made sense for her to use it because Mayari had strictly told her to do so. Roman letters would end up killing her in some way.

"Where'd Steven go?" She asked as soon as she entered the house and Steven wasn't even there.

"Marc was taken away by the cops." Layla informed, while Gabriella frowned.

"Oh God, those were definitely not cops." Gabriella sighed, gesturing for Layla to go with her and maybe give Steven an aid.

"You're not Marc's girlfriend, are you?" Layla asks her, Gabriella chuckling in disbelief.

"If you want to get your husband back, go ahead. I'm just here because Khonshu talked to my god about this mission. To watch over Steven Grant." The younger by a few months shrugged, getting in the bike as Layla got in after her.

"Steven Grant? His name is-"

"Marc Spector, I know. You're not aware your ex-husband is diagnosed with DID, are you?" Gabriella asked, driving away with Layla.

______________________________________

She gestured for Layla to do whatever she wants, asking her to not get in the way if she's oath to step in. She snuck out to the side of the building as Layla did whatever she wanted to do. Gabriella jumped from one pole to another, using her abilities to stick in and inevitably not die from falling. She reached some kind of storage area with a very large window on it. There were various things wrapped around in plastic to maybe preserve them for some shit.

"Aking kapala-" her incantation was lost in her mind as both Layla and Steven bursted inside the room, panting heavily.

"Gabriella? How'd you get up there?" Steven asked, while the girl shrugged.

"Doesn't matter. I'll see if you guys can come down without breaking your bones. Until then, be safe. Especially you Steven Grant, I'll get mauled to death if you don't." Gabriella said with a sigh, jumping back down to find any fire exit.

She landed superhero style on the ground. Her ceremonial attire vanishing within a few milliseconds. It wasn't seen in the naked eye, though she knew Mayari had masked her fall with it. By just barely a second.

"Thank You Yari." She muttered, to no one as she looked up the building.

Her eyes trailed around the building, trying to find any exit that might help with the two who were getting chased by something. Finding nothing, she was going to come up once again just to see Steven falling down with great height.

"Holy fuck. STEVEN!" She yelled out, only for the pipe she was holding on to snap resulting her into falling down the ground with a harsh thud.

A sickening crack of her probably spine was heard as she groaned out loud. She cursed under her breath, feeling Mayari's power heal her. Though she knew it was slower than Khonshu's healing ability for his avatar. She already had a lot of abilities, and the bullet wounds were still in her body....somehow.

"Gabriella?! Are you alright, love?" Steven asked, as soon as he walked over to her.

"Oh God, you're alright." Gabriella muttered in relief, trying to stand up as Steven helped her.

"That's a very nasty fall, is your back alright? You're kinda bleeding right now. You're worrying me Gabby." Steven said, checking her torso that was gushing blood as she groaned out loud.

"I never let anyone call me Gabby but that privilege is only yours. Your suit looks cool and all, but you need to go. I can take care of it." She told the male, gesturing for him to go not wanting him to see the blood she's going to spill once he and Layla were out of sight.

"That was a jackal, I don't think you'll survive it without any help. And you're a regular person, no offense you're amazing and everything I love-I really like you, as a friend. I can't leave you here alone. And you're really injured, you need to get to the hospital." Steven ranted, the girl feeling her heart warm at the statement the man had told her.

"Don't worry about me little dove. I can handle myself. Khonshu wouldn't ask for my help if it wasn't for my skills. I'll be alright." She assured the man, while he only refused.

"I won't leave you here alone, that's final—" Steven couldn't add more to his sentence when two more jackals appeared along with the other.

"Fine. If I see a single scratch on you, I'm importing you to the Philippines." Gabriella said, pushing Steven away to distract the main jackal.