f1 in florida (1)

you've been noel's assistant for about a year now. it's always been just that. a filmmaker and his assistant.

- - -

it is hot in florida and i hate the heat. i'd much rather add the layers than shed them.

"can you hurry up?" noel is in a mood because he couldn't sleep on the plane and when he decided he would just go on his phone, he discovered that there was no wifi.

i hurry along after him. he is technically my boss but really, we just feel like coworkers.

- - -

it is surprisingly hard to find a job in the film industry - even if you live in los angeles. when noel offered me this job, i took it right away.

and as it turns out, i like working for him. this is the kind of job i was aiming for after graduating. plus - noel and i have some things in common, so we get along pretty well.

- - -

we are here in florida for the f1 race this weekend. noel is obsessed with racing. i'm talking eyes-wide jaw-dropped every time he's at the track type of obsessed.

a couple of months ago, he had gotten invited to the f1 event by red bull and he had wanted to film the whole experience. that's where i come in. he added me as his plus one so that i could help him film. that really meant that i would do most of the work while he had all of the fun. (and that's on writing the whole trip off as a business expense! lol)

it wasn't until we got to the hotel that we realized the glaring issue with me being noel's plus one - there was only one hotel room.

in an attempt to be a gentleman, noel somehow manages to get an extra room for me. i really don't mind. if the worst case scenario is sleeping in the same bed as the handsome comedian that is my boss, i could definitely live with that.

okay so maybe i understand why the majority of his audience is girls! noel is easy on the eyes and hilarious. what is there to complain about?

i get over myself and dump my luggage in my room. noel has to do some press videos before the big race later on, so i hurry along.

the two of us find ourselves down at the racetrack, standing under a red bull branded easy-up.

noel is like a kid in a candy store. for the next three hours, i tail him while filming it all with the dslr. he visits every vendor tent, probably walks the length of the track twice, and attempts multiple times to sneak into the area where the pit crews are prepping the cars.

it is safe to say that both of us are properly exhausted by the time we return to the hotel after our super early race-sponsored dinner.

"the race starts at 7:00, then the after party is at 10:30. it's like 6:30 right now. meet back down here in 10? good with you?" noel asks.

"yeah sounds good." i reply.

back in my room, i replay in my head the events of the day so far:

did he notice that his knee touched mine for the entirety of the plane ride?

did he consciously take my luggage and load it into our uber for me?

what about the giddy, excited glances that were shared just between us down under those sponsor tents?

did i mention him putting his hand on my back when we squeezed through the more crowded areas?

and that doesn't include that fact that he holds every single door open for me.