Thirty-six: Romantic Gestures

The security guard put a firm hand on Lily's shoulder and marched her out past a sea of stares.

All the models and designers and backstage staff stopped what they were doing to gawk at the scene. At least one person raised their phone to film it, narrating rapidly into their camera as they captured the sight.

Her face flushing scarlet, Lily tucked her chin and shielded her face with a splayed hand. Vera felt a rush of vindictive pleasure. Even if exposing her accomplished nothing else, she deserved this taste of her own medicine. Let her see how it felt when people were talking about her for all the wrong reasons.

Carmen watched her go with ice in her eyes. "She'll be hearing from my lawyers."

The back exit slammed shut after Lily and the security guard. A moment later, everyone turned back to what they had been doing before the spectacle began. There was still a show to run.

"I, uh. Didn't actually manage to record her confession," Vera admitted. "You know, if your lawyers need proof or anything."

Carmen turned. Setting her cheek against her palm, she pursed her lips. Behind her, Jay waved his fingers. Vera didn't know why he was wearing that guilty smile. He'd bought her plenty of time to get Lily's confession. Carmen might not look happy to see her, but she'd known this might backfire. She didn't regret it, especially after how aggressively unsorry Lily had turned out to be.

"You weren't invited, so you showed up anyway and caused all this drama but you didn't even manage to record it?" Carmen sniffed.

"I showed up to support you," Vera said, firmly, and met her eyes without flinching. "But when I found out Lily was here I couldn't just let it go."

"I'm flattered you went to all this effort for me. What a selfless act."

"Okay, yes, I also wanted proof that I didn't leak those photos."

Carmen crossed her arms and narrowed her eyes. "You were worried that I'd sue you for breaching the NDA."

"No." Vera's eyes flew wide. She hadn't even considered that Carmen might try to sue her, which was maybe a little shortsighted, even if there hadn't been any proof. She spread her hands, palms up. "I know the photo leak was a really terrible experience. I didn't want you to think a friend would do something like that to you. That I would do something like that to you."

"Oh, you're pulling the friend card now? After everything you've done?"

Despite the ice in her voice, there was something about the twitch of Carmen's lips, a familiar glint in her eye.

"Oh my god." Vera shook her head, then chuckled in disbelief. Carmen's expression didn't change, but she couldn't fool her. "You're fucking with me."

Carmen dissolved into laughter that fizzed like a glass of champagne and engulfed Vera in a rib-crushing hug. "Bitch," she said fondly, "of course I'm fucking with you."

Vera blinked as she pulled away. Jay was giving her a double thumbs up from behind Carmen's back. "Even though I didn't get a recording of Lily's confession?"

"She got paid. There'll be a paper trail. Now that we know it's her, my lawyers will sort it out."

"Okay. Cool. So... are we good? Because last time I saw you, you said you never wanted to see me again."

Scrunching her face, Carmen swept long brown curls behind one ear. "Okay, listen. I was in a bad place in Venice. I might have, you know." She flipped her wrist. "Overreacted a little bit? Just a little. 'Cause I had every right to be upset. But I will admit the yelling was a tiny bit offside. Look, though. I'm literally wearing an outfit you recommended." She gestured at her playsuit and thigh-high boots. "Can't you tell I've already forgiven you?"