Chapter 1

Chapter one

Tris

I haven't been this scared in a while. The pang of fear hits my chest and I flinch as I hear another bomb go off closer to us.

I don't pray, not often anymore. But here I sit under Johanna's desk, tears streaming down my cheeks. I pray that Tobias and Natalie have not been harmed, I pray that they are together and safe.

The building shakes for the last time and my hands are mimicking it. Johanna's arms are wrapped around my body. I can't fight it as I wrap mine around her. We stand up together arms and arms.

The roof of her office has seemed to caved in and what used to be her office has crumbled.

Why does this happen to us? I ask with the tears in my eyes. Why can't we all be safe?

I see an airplane fly over the office. Chicago doesn't have airplanes. I dunk under the desk again and pull Johanna with me.

"What's going on, Tris?"

"Chicago doesn't have planes. But the Bureau does." Her face goes white and she stops talking and I listen as the plane goes a little deeper into the city. I hear a static sound.

"Return Beatrice to us or face the consequences."

"No!" I hear a raspy voice yell. My hand admediatly goes over my mouth thinking it was me. But it's a deeper voice. A voice I love so deeply. I look at Johanna and quickly but quietly she gets up and makes her way towards the door. She walks out and I am left all alone in the office. I want to burst into laughter. Trouble follows where I go, no one is safe.

I hear the door open and I didn't even notice that his booming, raspy voice stopped.

"Where is she?" His voice asks, it's raspy and sad, it sounds broken. I hear Johanna make a soothing sush. I want to pop up from the desk and show him that I am alive but I can't risk being caught.

I watch as his tall figure bends down and his face floods with relief

"Oh my god you're alive." His arms wrap around me and he kisses my forehead. I wrap my arms around him and sink into his chest.

"You gotta stop scaring me like that, you know. One day you might kill me." I let out a little laugh.

"I'm serious." he says and I look up and see the tears in his eyes. I barry my head deep into his chest.

"I'm sorry. And I would promise that I would but we both know I can't." He nods.

"What are we gonna do?" I shake my head.

Johanna comes around the corner.

"I have Zeke coming with a car that's gonna take both of you back to your apartment. And Marlene and Shauna are taking Natalie back to your apartment.

We sit below Johanna's desk for a few more minutes silently, not touching. Until Johanna comes and informs us that Zeke is here. We get up and Tobias takes off his jacket.

"Here." He says and hands it to me. "Put the hood over your head so that no one knows it's you." I nod and zip it up, putting it over my head. He places his arm around my shoulder and we walk out of Johanna's office.

Once we are out the door we run to Zeke's car before anyone can see us. We get into the back of his truck and Zeke turns to the back and looks at us.

"See Four there was nothing to worry about." He glares at him, Zeke is wrong there was something to be worried about. I could have died. And the day hasn't ended yet. I still could die.