'ᴇɪɢʜᴛ-ʏᴇᴀʀ-ᴏʟᴅ,

Wiping my sweaty hands on my maxi skirt, I entered Mr Keating's class. Charlie was gone when I went back to my dorm the other night. He took the next day off to visit the Danbury house. I couldn't shake off the feeling that he was going out of his way to avoid me.

Last night, Cameron informed me of his roommate's return. Unless he found a way to make himself sick overnight, chances were he'd be in this class.

"Good morning, Ms Perry," Mr Keating greeted from behind me. I jumped, and he just smiled. "I'm afraid we're going to be late to class if you don't enter now."

"Sorry," I quickly entered. I was too embarrassed to look around, I found an empty seat in the middle and settled in.

Mr Keating walked in behind me, dropped his books on his chair along with an unusual bell and jumped up onto his desk. A collective gasp resounded at his impulsive move.

"Why do I stand up here?" He looked down at us. "Anybody?"

From behind me came the voice I dreaded, "To feel taller."

My body moved without my permission as if his voice was enough to activate my impulses; or shut off all rational parts of my brain.

He looked cheerful, light. Happy. For some strange reason, seeing him look so happy after how we ended things twisted my heart. I hated that feeling, so I looked away before he could catch me staring, or even worse, understand the hurricane of emotions brewing inside me.

"No!" Mr Keating rang the bell sitting on his desk with his foot, "Thank you for playing Mr Dalton."

A chorus of laughter rang out in response, I repressed the urge to turn back around again. It surprised me how much I craved his laughter, I wasn't even aware of the length I missed him until I saw him again.

"I stand upon my desk to remind myself that we must constantly look at things in a different way." Mr Keating boomed in a manner that made it seem like he climbed the Everest, not an ordinary desk.

He added, "You see, the world looks very different from up here. Come see for yourself."

He jumped off and dusted his pants. When none of us moved he repeated with a loud clap, "Come on!"

Without missing a beat, I heard multiple footsteps from the back of the class. I knew who it was, I straightened up. The two brunets walked to the desk first, daring their classmates to follow suit.

I have known my brother all my life, he would never give up the chance to try something new. Especially when it was suggested by Mr Keating, Neil worshipped the man.

However, the fact that I knew Charlie would act too made a grudging warmth spread in my veins. I knew him because I wanted to. Just like I wanted - no - needed him to turn and look at me, just once, just a little.

My brain had already plotted how careful I'd have to be around him, the distance and coldness I must maintain so the unfortunate incident could be swept under the rug. I knew the consequences would be far greater than I could comprehend. Even if I was strong enough to face my father, I couldn't bear hurting my brother.

Charlie, as if hearing my turmoil, paused and tilted his head. He tensed and shook his head as if fighting off the same impulse as mine. He never turned around. Instead, he jumped onto Mr Keating's desk and helped Neil up after.

"Just when you think you know something, you have to look at it in another way." Mr Keating continued, addressing us while beckoning us over to his desk. "Even though it may seem silly or wrong, you must try!"

My heart skipped a beat. His words, albeit regarding a completely different topic, were all the encouragement I needed. For a second, I thought I saw his eyes on me when he said it as if it was meant for me alone. As if he was urging me to seize the day.