Chapter 30: The Cost of the Crown

[Zelda]

Zelda almost didn't believe her eyes. Her father was here in the throne room, but how? Why had he fled the battle? And why had he come here of all places? "Father, what are you--"

"How are you still alive?" King Rhoam's hand shook with anger, his sword trembling in his grip. "You're like a roach that I just can't seem to kill."

"Let's all just calm down." Link stood, putting his hands up. "It's been an eventful day. We can figure this out. We just need to--"

"STOP ORDERING ME AROUND!" King Rhoam yelled. Link had apparently stumbled onto a touchy subject. "I am still King of Hyrule, and you are a Hylian, so you will stand down and follow my instructions."

Link bristled. "We had a deal, Rhoam."

"The deal was contingent on you killing Ganondorf, but it seems he's still alive, so the deal is off."

"The war is over, father." Zelda stepped back, trying to put some distance between them. "The curse on the Triforce is gone. The Gerudo are no longer--"

"Under its control? Yes, I'm aware of that." King Rhoam's eye twitched. "In the middle of the battle, all the monsters disappeared, and the Gerudo army surrendered, claiming they wanted peace, but I knew that it was a lie. I ordered my men to slaughter them all, but they refused." The king laughed, sounding on the verge of insanity. "They wanted peace too, they said, and when I ordered them to kill the Gerudo regardless, they laid down their swords, still refusing to fight.

"An old man stepped forward, and do you know what he said, Zelda? Do you know what disgusting words left his mouth?" King Rhoam's voice shook with anger. "He said, 'This man is an imposter; he's not our king. Our real leader, Princess Zelda, is inside the castle! The Hero of Hyrule, Link, has gone to save her.' And things were only made worse by a Sheikah showing up and confirming his tale. In a matter of minutes, my men turned against me, and it's all your fault, dear daughter of mine--"

Zelda's mind raced, trying to think of a plan, but her brain felt sluggish--maybe it was a side effect of having Hylia possess her. But, regardless, her mind and body were beyond the point of exhaustion, severally limiting her options. Zelda heard quiet muttering to her right, and she remembered she wasn't alone. So while her father was monologuing, she tuned into Link and Ganondorf's whispered conversation, hoping they had an idea. 

"Come on." Link snapped his fingers. "Why isn't it working?"

"What are you doing?" Ganondorf asked.

"Trying to summon the Master Sword." Link gave up and turned to Ganondorf, whispering. "Where is it?"

"Uh, I don't know. I stabbed Demise with it and--there! It's over there."

Zelda searched with her eyes for a weapon too but didn't see one. Besides, she doubted her father would let her live long enough to pick one up.

"--I have given everything I have to this kingdom." King Rhoam stepped toward Zelda, and she quickly returned her attention to him. "Yet it has rejected me." A wicked grin spread over his lips, and Zelda's blood ran cold. "However, there is still one thing I can do to help my kingdom."

Zelda scrambled back, but it was made difficult by her sprained ankle. "Whatever you're thinking, father--"

"Don't call me that."

Zelda gulped. "Whatever you're thinking, King Rhoam, I'm sure there's another way."

"There isn't."

Zelda screamed as he lunged at her. She rolled away from his blow, but she hadn't moved with enough momentum, ending up on her stomach instead of her feet. Her body ached with exhaustion, yet the adrenaline in her system allowed her to try and crawl away.