1 - Evasion

Damon ran out of the tunnel shortly before the compound exploded.
He felt the shock from hundreds of yards away -- he stumbled, but kept moving, his satchel bouncing as he flew into the evergreen forest. It was light, yet burdensome, like it held the entire world. An added weight to his friends' deaths.
Make it count, Dr. Parker had told him.
I will, he thought, pushing himself faster. I'll make sure of it.
Footsteps sounded behind him, accompanied by a hound’s barking. It should've scared him, but Damon had explored this forest for years -- this was his ground. He took a hard right, and as he fled, he reached into his satchel and pulled out a small pouch, dropping it carelessly along his path.
Drugs and rabbit’s blood.
Minutes later, the barking halted. Damon slowed, but didn't stop, in case it was a ruse to lull him into security. One hand drifted to the thing inside his pack, ready to fling it away; the other grasped the hilt of his knife.
Time passed -- Damon didn’t how long, maybe an hour. Given the stakes, he doubted they would go so long without trying to capture him. Somewhat eased, Damon stopped, breathing heavily, a hot stitch in his side. He needed to move, but he couldn't force himself to. You need to know where you're headed anyway, he thought.
Panting, Damon reached into his satchel and pulled out a map. It showed the entire area, with a blue X marked some forty-five miles north of his approximate location. Seven miles northwest of Badger Rock, read the note underneath.
Damon gritted his teeth, his breath coming easier. So far away. And the sooner he got to safety, the better. Years of work -- and perhaps the future of the world -- depended on his success. Then don't waste your time complaining, he chided.
Damon took stock of his supplies. A few strips of dried meat, a couple of canteens, a compass, a lighter. Not nearly enough for the journey. But he could worry about that later. Assuming he made it that far.
Taking a swift drink, he turned north and began running toward his last remaining refuge from the United World Order.