10 - Capture

The next morning, he swiftly broke camp and set off again. The finding of the book had only hastened his desire to reach the safehouse. Daydreams of a hot bath and a cot danced in his mind. As beautiful as the forest was, it was not a place he would want to sleep in every night.

There was an added benefit as well. Once he arrived, he might be able to contact other Archivists. The World Order had destroyed all of the bases Damon's team had known about, but each Archivist base had only a partial listing of others. A slim chance existed that one base had survived. The knowledge that he might have allies lifted his spirits.

But though he didn't want to stop, Damon was forced to around midday. His legs, already sore from the days of difficulty, positively ranted at the brutality they were being treated with. Damon took a long drink of water, then gave some to Rebekah in a small bowl. Though she didn't look as bad as on that first day, Damon could see her weariness.

"Almost there, girl," he told her. "It's not far, I promise. We--"

He stopped as something struck his leg.

Then the pain hit, causing him to scream and drop to the ground. It felt like someone had taken a red hot knife and stabbed it into his leg. Similar pain blossomed in his shoulder and side. Through his hazy vision, he saw Rebekah pull something from his arm and flee.

Betrayal pricked him, until he understood what Rebekah had taken. The satchel. Why did she take it? He couldn't comprehend it; he was simply glad that she had escaped.

Even so, it didn't matter much. Rebekah didn't know what was on that drive, and she certainly didn't know how to use it or the safehouse's location. He dimly hoped that someone else would find it and, at the very least, keep it from the government.

So close, Damon thought. I'm sorry, Dr. Parker. Aaron. Amy.

He closed his eyes as a Preserver marched toward him and knocked him unconscious.