12 - A New Future

"Your wolf showed up among us carrying your satchel," his rescuer, Joshua, explained. "We found the map inside, figured everything out. So I took about half our group and left to retrieve you. Your pet tracked you to the camp and we.. you know."

Damon sat and nodded eagerly. They were in the safehouse -- more like a safe underground mansion -- common area, exchanging stories. Damon had learned that, as far as they knew, no other Archivists were left on the Americas. The knowledge saddened him, but it was enough to know this many had survived.

"Weren't your methods a little... violent?" Damon asked. "I mean, I'm grateful, but I thought violence was contrary to our goals."

"Not really," Joshua said. "It's just not our primary way of dealing with things. Sometimes, you have to use violence."

Joshua smiled. "Thing is, those idiots aren't really used to someone fighting back. You ever wonder how you managed to take down trained men? It's because they're inexperienced. After all, where would they gain it? In training? In real battle? It's been thirty years since the last real insurrection. Give them a little time, and they'll be even weaker. Meanwhile, while we're waiting for them to ripen, we can focus on spreading the truth. And recruiting, of course."

Damon smiled in return, eager. "Of course." In fact, as soon as it was safe, he wanted to get back out there, lifting up the oppressed, planting seeds of uprising. In other words, fighting back.

Maybe he wouldn't see the World Order fall. But for a moment, he allowed himself to imagine the new world. People swarming the streets and tearing down remnants of tyranny, singing songs of freedom, building a new future, a world of happiness instead of fear. It would be a long, difficult, maybe even violent process. But Damon envisioned the outcome.

And it was glorious.