9 - Relic

Damon only stopped when he saw the rock.

Roughly shaped like a badger, the large monolith stood lay a silent guardian of the night, reflecting the silver moonlight. Badger Rock, Damon thought. I'm almost there. He let loose a loud laugh, feeling a hundred pounds lighter.

Part of him was still burdened by the deaths, wondering if they were worth it. But at least there was a solid chance they wouldn't be in vain.

In celebration, Damon fixed himself and Rebekah a hearty supper, then laid back against the rock once he was finished. He stared into the forest, for the first time managing to appreciate how beautiful it was. It was a reminder that, no matter how tightly the government controlled people, there were things they couldn't subdue. They could try, but nothing could tame nature.

A sparkle caught Damon's attention. Leaning sideways, he brushed his fingers over the stone slowly, stopping when he noticed something that looked suspiciously like a handhold. He grabbed it and pulled.

The stone gave way, revealing -- to Damon's amazement -- a small drawer that had been carved into it. It was so amazingly intricate, Damon wondered how much time the carver had lavished on it, and why he had bothered with it at all. Inside was nothing special. Just a dusty book, along with an old watch.

Realization slapped Damon in the face. A Relic. The publication date read 1975. The thing he had so easily dismissed was over 200 years old. The title read, War and Peace.

Damon had never heard of that one. He didn't know everything the Archivists kept on file -- it would take a lifetime to memorize -- but he was sure that book wasn't in their collection. Curious, reverent, he opened the book to the first page.

He meant to take only a cursory glance, but before he knew it, he had read the first twenty pages. It was good. Some of the best material he had ever come across, though he didn't often read for pleasure. It told of a foreign and strange time, one that seemed barbaric, yet familiar.

Eventually, Damon replaced the drawer and tucked the book protectively into his satchel, planning to transcribe it immediately after he reached the safehouse. He looked at the moon, and saw it was getting late. Reluctantly, he let his mind drift into sleep, still buzzing with the excitement of having found a Relic.