The Begaining of Calavera Murete

A young eighteen year old girl sat crying at her ten year old brother's grave. It was October 31St the first day of Day of the Dead. Now the girls parents didn't celebrate Day of the Dead but the girl did. She always loved the holiday. Today was the the children's souls come to visit. She cleaned the grave, caving it with marigolds.

She smiled at her handy work. She looked up to the sky.

"Like it Tommy?" she asked

She got up and added a marigold on each child's grave. She even pulled the weeds and dusted the graves off.

"There you go. Come and visit and keep Tommy happy please." she said

She left the graveyard. It was dark almost ten at night. She walked home.

​Footsteps were heard on the concrete sidewalk behind her. She glanced behind her to spy a tall man, white, maybe in his early thirties. He was dressed in black, with a ball cap. The girl sped up her walk. The footsteps quicken.

A hand grabbed her arm. A cloth with a weird smell covered her mouth and nose. Her world went black.

​Flashes of senses danced before her eyes has she tried to open them. The man, he was above her. Then black again. The next time her eyes blinked open she saw a blade, felt a sting on her throat. It went black again.

​When she opened her eyes again she was staring at a full moon. She moved her head to the side to find herself floating in a river. She saw a graveyard on the right side. It seemed familiar.

​She looked back at the moon.

"Who am I?" she asked

"Calavera Murete." said a voice

"Who said that?" asked the girl

She looked at the moon and just knew the moon said that. She went to life herself up right in the water when she started floating upward. She was flying. Calavera giggled before flying over to the graveyard. There she was greeted by kids. She knew they weren't normal kids. They were souls.

She​ glanced at the water. She saw she had black hair that was pulled neatly in a side ponytail. Red roses were placed were the holder was. Her face was painted like a sugar skull during the Day of the Dead. She blinked her blue eyes at her reflection.

She was the guardian of the Day of the Dead. The guardian of children's souls. Calavera Murete.