47

“ICTUS,” HOPE SAID AS SHE and Jaxon barged inside the room, her powers sending the merman flying backwards, closing the bathroom door. "Also, Ick!"

"See, danger magnet!" Landon exclaimed, pointing to the closed bathroom door.

"What the fuck was that?" Jaxon questioned, ignoring Landon's words. Alaric frowned, "uh, I'm guessing a mer–man." The creature banged on the door while Alaric added, "a very pissed mer-man."

"Why are monsters still coming for them?" Hope asked, turning to the others, "we don't even have what they want."

"I don't know but we're gonna get Landon out of here." Alaric said as Landon walked over to his bag and began looking through it.

"Oh no," Landon sighed making Jaxon groan, "please tell me you didn't—"

"—I did." Landon cut him off, nodding, looking at Hope who raised her brows in confusion, "what?"

"You said a Necromancer told you the knife was one of the three keys, right?" Landon asked Hope who corrected, "the necromancer. Like I said, it's a long story but why does it matter?"

"He has another key," Jaxon stated, narrowing his eyes at Landon's back, "the second one and the monsters are here for it."

Landon nodded, taking out a sort of urn from his bag making Alaric sigh, "son of a bitch."

"This is Seylah's," Landon quickly explained, "I picked it up but I didn't steal it. I—I... Not on purpose anyway."

"You picked it up and put it in your bag," Jaxon said, "this sounds a lot like stealing to me."

"I don't know how it got there," Landon further explained, "just like I don't know what happened with the knife. I swear I wouldn't do that again."

"Landon," Hope cut him off, "Landon, it's okay. I believe you."

Landon smiled just as the mer-man growled. Alaric said, "we got to move."

Landon was about to put the urn in his bag when Jaxon stopped it, "no, no, wait, leave it."

"What, are you out of your mind?" Alaric asked the boy who responded, "no, I'm sick of playing the same game. I have a way to find out where the hell his dad—" noticing the looks he was receiving, he smirked, "—sorry, Malivore is."

"He's right," Hope added, "let the monster have it. He'll take it to Malivore, we'll follow him and find out where it is!"

"I am not taking three teenagers to a covert military hiding place for a demon portal."

"You kind of have to." Hope said making him look at her, "Why?"

"Because Seylah going there," Jaxon responded.

"What?" Landon asked, "Did she tell you that?"

"In her own way." Hope said, "Hold that," she handed Alaric the compass, "I'll explain in the car. Let's go."

"H-He's a fish man on land." Alaric said, looking at the bathroom door, "how fast can he be, right?" Just then, the merman broke through the door making Alaric's eyes widen, "oh, my God!" Alaric slammed the door shut once they all rushed outside.

**

"Turns out he's pretty fast." Hope commented as they were now in the car, on the road.

"Listen, this was you two's idea." Alaric said, "So is it within my bounds as the headmaster to tell you to shut it?"

"What if we don't get there in time?" Landon asked to which Hope replied, "Seylah doesn't have that much of a lead on us."

"I can't believe she wants to erase herself just to get out of being a parent." Landon muttered making Jaxon glance at him, "maybe it's just y—"

"—Don't say it." Hope cut him off, eyeing him warningly as she knew what he was gonna say. ‘Maybe it's just you’— it would be a joke, of course but then wasn't really the time. Jaxon scoffed and rolled his eyes in response as they neared a gate.

"What the hell is that?" Landon asked, pointing towards it. Alaric pulled the car to a stop and they all got out, approaching the gate.

"Triad." Jaxon read what was written.

"Explosives?" Landon glanced at a yellow plate fixed on the door.

Alaric stared at the gate, "On the bright side, maybe this fence stopped our fishy friend."

Jaxon walked beside and pointed to the broken fence, "I don't think so." He got in followed by the others. They walked a bit further and saw the mer-man standing there.

"There." Hope breathed out as they halted their steps, standing only a few feet away from the mer-man who was beginning to walk away. Just then Landon stepped forward, wanting to go after him.

However, his arm was grabbed by Jaxon and he was pulled back behind, "the fuck you think you're going? stay back. He's dangerous."

"I have to get in there." Landon persisted and then he began running in that direction.

"Landon!" Hope exclaimed and began running after him followed by Alaric who sighed, ""Wait, guys, be careful!"

And Jaxon just stood there, shaking his head at the boy's stupidity. Just then, he heard a loud explosion going off and the next thing he knew was Hope's, Landon's and Alaric's bodies coming flying backwards then hitting the ground.