Chapter 6: Covert Kisses

Warnings: None

The cold mountain winds whipped Scott's face as he flew away from Rivendell. It was difficult to see, between the darkness and the blizzard, but he could have flown to the Cod Empire in his sleep. He was late already, due to the fact that he had been held up by his council, but was within a few minutes of the swamp.

He glided towards the pier in front of Jimmy's house, losing his balance as he landed. Cursing, he tried to keep himself from falling. Just as he went over the edge, someone grabbed him by the arm and hauled him back up onto his feet. He turned to see Jimmy standing beside him, a picnic basket on his arm.

"Close call." He said, evidently fighting to keep the laughter out of his voice. Scott smiled, slightly embarrassed.

"Thanks for not letting me fall off the pier. That's twice now you've saved me." He faked a scowl, then said, "I really need to stop getting into the habit of needing to be rescued." He dropped the fake scowl, laughing. Jimmy turned slightly pink and ran a hand through his hair.

"Don't mention it. Now, how about I show you to the place I have in mind?"

"Sounds like a plan." Scott held out his hand, and Jimmy took it, turning slightly redder in the moonlight.

———

It was the conversation with Lizzie that had done it. Instead of dissuading him from seeing Scott again, it had only strengthened his resolve. If Lizzie, his stubborn and overprotective sister, was willing to 'reserve judgement' on Scott on his behalf, then she probably trusted his judgement more than he did. It made him realize, to his surprise, that he actually did like Scott. Actually, 'like' wasn't a strong enough word.

Loved. He loved Scott. And, he thought to himself as he led Scott to the secluded pond on which he had decided for their date, I should tell him that. But what if he doesn't like me back? He shook his head slightly. I still should.

"How much farther is it?" Scott asked, startling him from his thoughts.

"Oh- just up ahead." He pulled up the branch in front of them, revealing a stunning harbor on the edge of the sea, hidden by vines and thick trees. A small rowboat sat on the edge of the water, upside down. He turned the boat over, put the basket down, and held it still for Scott to step in clumsily (he had probably never been in a boat, Jimmy realized). Once he had, Jimmy followed, sitting facing Scott. They were sitting close enough that he could see the individual freckles across the elf's face in the light of the single candle they had lit.

"Is this alright?" Jimmy asked. Scott nodded. "You look nervous." Scott looked across the water before answering.

"I've never been in a boat." Jimmy raised his eyebrows.

"We can go back to the village, if you'd like."

"No, I like this. It feels...peaceful." Scott looked up at the sky, the reflection of the moon making his ice colored eyes glow silver. Jimmy grabbed hold of the oars.

"Well, in that case, I'm going to row us out into the lake. I- if that's okay." Scott nodded again, so Jimmy began to row. He went slowly, so as not to make the boat rock too much. Scott trailed a hand through the water, watching the ripples around it. The corners of his mouth lifted slightly. He's so handsome, Jimmy thought.

When they had neared the middle of the lake, Jimmy laid the oars back on the boat and opened the picnic basket. Scott had taken off his heavy cloak and laid it in the bottom of the boat, then lowered himself from the bench onto the cloak, leaning against the side of the boat. Jimmy did the same, facing the same direction as Scott, their shoulders and elbows touching. Jimmy's heart was pounding in his chest from the prolonged contact. They ate fish and apples, looking out across the lake, out into the sea.

He wasn't quite sure what made him say it. Maybe it was the peaceful silence. Maybe it was the way Scott had set his head on Jimmy's shoulder. Either way, the words slipped out before he could stop them.

"I love you."