Chapter 5: The First Run

Gingerbrave covers his mouth as he felt an overwhelming urge to scream at the top of his 'lungs.' Almost as if he was punched in the gut and it took his breath away. He pressed one of his hands against the vanity's desk as he hung his head low to avoid looking at the mirror once more. As one was still kept in his mouth, he could have sworn his body was crumbling at the seams as an all too familiar dread was about to decamp from his chest. With the underside of a copper taste that lined his thoughts with the surge. He closed his eyes for a moment before looking up at the mirror, eyes widening as his light started to feel light. Millions of dots filled his vision unapologetically that had made a static look on everything around him. Pixilated and even brighter despite the vivid light through the curtain and the lights being closed. It was only soon enough before he stepped back, removing the hand from the desk before stumbling on footing. In a rush, he found that was a bad idea very quickly as he could have sworn the pain intensified as he did, he collapsed onto the makeshift bed of logs.

He barely managed to get his mind straight before grasping the cotton pillow he was given, screaming into the wool. It felt like an entire twenty seconds before removing the cotton from his face. Eyes squinting as a sharp pain hit his chest like a knife. A wrenching feeling that made his stomach swirl as he looked at the cotton, mouth quivering as he could have sworn he saw a flash of red on the cover before it disappeared as he blinked. A shaky breath escaped him after ten seconds, not realizing he wasn't exactly breathing in that period. At this point, the static look was on surrounding the rim of his vision created a cloud effect with it. The sound of high-pitched buzzing hit his 'ears' for a second, hitting him so suddenly when moved as a reaction he almost hit the wall as he leaned up against it.

His eyes moved furiously as he tried to calm down his breathing, a sound of a beep came through. A gasp came through as he held his head with his hands, placing his elbows at his knees. His mind went elsewhere, trying to calm himself down as his breathing had only now started to slow down with the rim of his vision coming clearer with it. The sound of a music box was similar to a violin but had more of a mechanical sound to it. An antique of a wind-up music box, a soothing tune despite the faint sound. He remembered vividly the small box, carves with many mistakes along the outside with swirls and shapes and how no colour other than the wood and metallic working. Its handle had two half-circles on its end with the circles at the bottom. He never knew the music's name, but the arrival of it coming to his head was comforting.

He leaned back against the wall, looking plainly at the ceiling with its white painted walls, the texture similar to drywall or maybe concrete. Gingerbrave's breathing was still shaken up, but as the music started to drift off in his hearing, he placed the cotton pillow to his side and back where it was placed. He subconsciously took a minute or two to collect himself, taking the time to try to think it through properly. Not sure why he suddenly wanted to scream or why he experiencing a migraine as soon as he saw his reflection, with gave him a few seconds of a skull-breaking headache.

It should have been obvious, but the former human felt like there was something more. Realized how close and real the music box had seemed in his head. It was comforting but creepy in that way.

Gingerbrave kicked his legs for a second before facing the curtains window. The barriers of the swirl logs and the curtains seemed to be made of a similar fabric to the pillow by its texture. He preferred now not to question where the Sugar Gnomes had required this material as it didn't seem like they had anything in them from as far as he could see. Them being able to construct an entire home within twenty minutes was remarkable though.

Grasping around his waist to the bandages, he decided to keep the curtains closed - preserving the soft light it gave the room in a dim orange glow. Gingerbread paused for a moment before glancing at the floor and sighing in relief, not quite remembering when he dropped the candy cane just next to the vanity. Slipping off the bed and holding onto the frame as extra support, he crouched down and grapes onto the came. Checking carefully if the flower was damaged but seemed intact.