Chapter 5

"Hold it right there! You've traveled far enough!"

"What the hell... This girl again?"

"..."

"You two break the cycle of life by continuing to live in the world, you should be living in the afterlife, remain in the dead! Don't you see how much you're breaking the law of the living by being roaming in the living?!" Hu Tao looked at Mandricardo and Jason and hummed.

"Move aside little girl, we have no time for your little games." Jason huffed. "Whatever reason you have to stalk us and spy on us, just know that we do not care for whatever it is you're after. We're simply going on with our lives."

"The act of defiance in the cycle of life and even death is unacceptable! Given both you spirits defy death and life, I cannot allow myself to accept that. Hence why I'm chasing after you! I need to restore the natural order!"

"While It's considerate of what you're doing... Er..." Mandricardo paused awkwardly. Crap, what's her name? How does he refer to her?

"I'm Hu Tao, the seventy-seven Generation Director of the Wangsheng Funeral Parlor!"

"I'm Rider. This right here is Saber."

"Hmph!" Jason simply crossed his arms and looked away with a snort. Disliking this overall interaction.

"While your consideration and wish to restore the natural order is admirable, our existence overall remains tied to the world even after death. That's just the way we as spirits are. We're from another world you see, and sometimes we come back down to the living world out of certain circumstances."

"Hmm... Another world huh?" Hu Tao gazed at them both. "Prove it!"

"..." Mandricardo remained silent. Crap, how are they supposed to prove it?! "What if we can't?"

"Then I won't believe you, and I'll take you to the afterlife!" A grin appeared on the girl's face. Causing both Servants to wince, realizing how serious she's taking this.

"Rider. Knock the girl out." Jason whispered.

"What?! Are you crazy?!" Mandricardo whispered back with refusal. "I know she's a bit... Serious and crazy with her role, but we don't have to knock her out!"

"I see... Then we'll make a run for it. Quick, how do we distract her?" The Saber couldn't help but ask. Thinking up a plan that can distract the Director of the Funeral Harbor. A smile appeared on his face. "I have an idea."

Mandricardo raised a brow at Jason, wondering what sort of scheme he came up with.

Cough Cough

"Very well then, tell me this first, girl—"

"Hu Tao—"

"I don't care." Jason cut her as she cut him off. "Now then, do you know what's the difference between a Heroic Spirit and a normal spirit?"

"Heroic Spirit?" Blinked Hu Tao. "A Heroic Spirit is... Heroic? And a spirit? Just like a... Spirit? They're the same thing aren't they?" She looked at Jason.

"Hmph... Not far off. Yes, we Heroic Spirits are indeed spirits in the end. But let me tell you this piece of information, unlike normal spirits. We Heroic Spirits, us Servants, are simply copies of the true Hero. Meaning even if you were to take our spirits to the afterlife, you'd only be taking the copy. The true body lies outside of spacetime! Heroic Spirits aren't always heroes, they're all sorts of famous people."

"..."

"Let me leave you off with this one thing, no matter what, we Servants exist in preserving and helping out mankind. Sometimes we get summoned into wars and used as tools for others. Other times we're used by the very collective unconsciousness of humanity to help mankind. When we die, our legends are recorded on the Throne of Heroes. What that means is that we won't rest, so that's why our existence cannot remain at peace. What you're trying to do is admirable I'll admit. I do agree that the dead should not live with the living, they've lost their lives already, and they've had their experiences, good or bad. To live in the living world does break the natural order... But there are some things that you simply can't do."

"..."

"We would appreciate it if you stop stalking us. It's sad really, but our existence, in the end, is tied to the world. We won't rest after death. Although we do make memories living here, we as Servants forget those memories once we disappear from the world. Although tragic... That's just the way things are."

"Your world sounds unnatural and broken." Hu Tao said with a frown. "My... To not allow the dead to rest, what cruelty."

"Even so, it's our duty as Servants, in the end, to be the ones who protect mankind." Jason frowned. "There's a god currently who's trying to take over our world. That same god wiped out humanity and we're the last hope of restoring the world to normal. That's what we heroes are for, to bring hope and guide ahead. Especially Chaldea, an organization that's trying its best in restoring our very world... Although it's hopeless, I leave my faith in them."

"Quite funny hearing that from you. When we met you, you were drinking away and lost hope in the fact that we can stop the Gods." Mandricardo smiled at the Saber.

"After what I've seen and been through, it's only natural for me to feel that way... Many sacrifices were paved for the other Servants. They lost their lives in conflict. Either trying to cross the sea, reaching Olympus... And dying due to the gods. There was no sign of hope..." Sighed Jason.

"Gods huh?" Hu Tao hummed. "What are your gods like?! Our Archon is Rex Lapis, the God of Contracts. He's very strict about contract too!"

"I thought you didn't believe us that we're from another world?" Jason asked.

"Who knows, regardless, it's an interesting tale~" Giggled the pyro vision wielder.

"Well, to start, many variations of gods exist, from different periods and cultures." Jason said. "Though in the end... I despise the gods in general. Let us say, Hu Tao! That the gods we fought against, controlled the lives of the people and ruled over them. In my opinion, it is our job as humans to move forward and forge our paths. Without letting others control us. The Gods didn't see us as people, but more like pets to them, to worship them."

"Well then, given I believe you two... I suppose I'll be on my way! Rider and Saber were it?"

"Mm." Mandricardo nodded. "It was nice to meet you, although we met in bad circumstances. I'm glad we were able to resolve this little thing."

"Mm. Don't be afraid to stop by the funeral harbor. Now then, I have a zombie to catch next..." Hu Tao ran off leaving Jason and Mandricardo to look on.

"... A zombie?" Jason raised a brow.

"Believe me, I'm just as confused as you are. Although I suppose we didn't have to run away after all. Seems like your words and reasoning were enough." Mandricardo said with satisfaction. "Though... Are you alright?"

"Huh? Of course, I am! Why would you think I'm not alright?"

"It's not wrong to be concerned for others right?... That sounded better in my head." Blushed the Rider. "After all that's happened, I'm just taking into consideration... Ya know. Being a pal?"

"Hmph. We're not pals." Jason said.

"Ouch..." Mandricardo winced.

"Hmm... I'll ignore this for now. Mentally, talking about the past drained me. It brought back those infuriating memories honestly. Ugh..." Snorted Jason. "Gods in general never bring anything good... It always ends with tragedy."

"Maybe we should rest, hopefully, tomorrow we reach Mondstadt." Mandricardo said. "And hopefully we get some information."

"Rest sounds nice. Very well, I shall permit this to happen! Rider set up camp! And cook while you're at it."

"Me...? You think I'm that reliable?"

"You were an Adventurer and King were you not? Then you should know a few things about the art of survival in the wilderness."

"Fair assumption... I'll see what I can do. But at the same time, you too were an adventure right?"

"Yes, but I'm not that dependable. I'm basically dead weight."

"I would disagree. You were the reason we managed to survive during Olympus and Atlantis."

"Hmph." Jason smiled as he glistened.

The praise is getting to his head and boosting his ego...

-~-

Word Count: 1,393