Chapter 3

The rest of the day Maddie received about ten messages from Nick. Maddie didn't open any of them or even acknowledge them; she simply just deleted them as soon as she received them. She wasn't trying to be rude or anything, she just didn't know how to act or what to think about how Nick was going to kiss her.

Maddie laid in her bed looking up at the ceiling trying to fall asleep that night. She heard footsteps coming up the stairs so she turned and looked at her alarm clock that was sitting on her nightstand. She saw the green number glowing back at her that read 11:00 p.m. Maddie sighed and pushed the covers off her legs it was still August so it was still pretty warm in the house. She got out of bed and walked over to the door of her bedroom, turning the handle and making her way to the stairs and going into the kitchen. Maddie pulled open the door to one of the cabinets and pulled out a glass, she walked over to the sink and filled it with cold water. 

Footsteps were heard and they were coming towards the kitchen. Maddie stood as still as possible and held her breath for as long as she possibly could trying her hardest not to make any noise thinking someone was breaking into the house. She turned slowly towards the doorway to the kitchen and saw a tall shadow sweep across the wall. She turned back around and faced the window trying to unlock it in case she would need to make a quick escape. Unfortunately when she moved the lock on the window it made a harsh screeching sound. Maddie felt someone enter the kitchen. She took a deep breath and felt the person coming closer to her. 

Maddie was about to turn around when she felt someone set a hand on her shoulder. She turned around and then felt a hand cover her mouth and then she was being dragged by the intruder. Her blue eyes widened in fear as she lashed around and kicked at the person’s feet. 

Soon Maddie realized that the intruder was dragging her down to the basement. The intruder opened the door and once Maddie and the person themselves was in the room, the intruder closed the door. The person who had dragged Maddie to the basement let her go and uncovered her mouth. Maddie took this opportunity as a getaway and she sprinted towards the door.

"Maddie. Maddie! It's me!" The intruder called getting Maddie's attention and stopping her from running away. Maddie turned around and faced the dark tall shadow. She recognized the voice; she would recognize the voice anywhere. Maddie squinted in the dark and saw green eyes that only she recognized to belong to Nick.

"Nick! What the heck are you doing!? I thought you were a murder who was going to either rape or kill me!" Maddie said, her voice filled with anger. 

"I didn't mean to scare you. I...I just needed to talk to you about what happened earlier today and you wouldn't answer my text messages so...Here I am." Nick said, letting a small smile creep up on his face. Maddie kept on glaring at him not believing that Nick would scare her so much just so he could explain himself about the mistake he almost made earlier in the day.

"Okay...You're mad." Nick said, stating the obvious. This statement just mad Maddie roll her eyes. She could be upstairs asleep but no, now she would probably not sleep for the rest of the night because she would be thinking someone was in the house.

"How did you even get in here?" Maddie asked, looking around for open windows in the basement.

"The door leading out to the patio...It was unlocked." Nick said sheepishly. Maddie still glared at him.

"And you couldn't wait to explain this to me tomorrow at dance because?" Maddie questioned, she really didn’t want to hear Nick explain himself right now, all she wanted to do was go lay down in her bed and go to sleep.

"Listen just let me explain...Please." Nick asked, begging Maddie. Maddie didn't respond.

"You see Maddie, we are going to end up just like Brooke and Brandon! And we aren't even dating!" Nick yelled, raising his voice, not loud enough to wake Melissa and Mackenzie up but enough to make Maddie flinch a little. 

"Are you blaming this on me?" Maddie questioned. "Because I never said you could kiss me that is your fault Nick! Not mine! I wasn't the one who started to lean in and almost kiss one of his best friends!" Maddie yelled back, she was getting more and more frustrated and quite annoyed with Nick. "Can we just talk about this tomorrow at dance?" Maddie asked.

"No, we need ot talk about this now before it completely ruins our friendship!" Nick yelled, he valued his friendships a lot and he didn't want to give up his and Maddie's just because of a stupid mistake he almost made.

"Now listen. what happened earlier was a complete mistake and I didn't mean to lean in it's just...I've kind of liked you for a while now and every time I see you dance or just in general you take my breath away because you're so beautiful....I really like you Maddie." Nick said, completely serious. The topic they were getting on could ruin their friendship if it ended, just like Brooke and Brandon, but Nick was determined to not let that happen to him and Maddie.

Maddie stayed quiet for a minute after that. Had Nick just admitted that he liked her? It sure sounded like it, now Maddie didn't know what to do. Sure she loved Nick and he was super sweet but the words Brooke had said on the bus kept haunting her, that Maddie and Nick were a lot like Brandon and herself. 

"Are you saying you like me?" Maddie questioned, wanting to be absolutely sure before she gave an answer.

"Yes, I really do." Nick said walking closer to her now. 

"Then...I really like you too." Madde said, also taking a step closer. "Really?" Nick questioned. Maddie nodded her head. Nick pulled her into a tight hug and Maddie hugged him back. The two of them pulled away and looked at each other in the darkness for a minute. Nick leaned in and this time so did Maddie. Their lips met a moment later and both of them felt fireworks. The two pulled away a minute later.

"Wow." Maddie and Nick stated at the same time after they pulled away.

"I should probably head home before my mom sees that I'm gone." Nick said, looking at Maddie. Maddie nodded. "Yeah I don't want you to get in trouble." Maddie said, grabbing a piece of her hair and twirling it around her finger. Nick and Maddie walked up the stairs to the main level of the house together. Nick opened the patio door, letting a cool August breeze slip into the house.

"I'm glad we talked about this." Nick said, with a smile on his face, the street lights on the road shining across his face  almost made it seem like his eyes were glowing.

"Me too." Maddie said smiling.

"Goodnight." Nick said before walking out onto the patio.

"Night." Maddie said, waving to him and once she saw him walking down the street locked the door and made her way back upstairs to her room. She climbed under the covers and thought about the events that had just happened. Maddie fell asleep a few minutes later thinking of how happy she was that she let Nick explain himself.