Chapter 5

Nick and Maddie arrived at Nick's house half an hour later. Nick got out of the car and then walked around and opened Maddie's door for her. She thanked him then followed Nick inside his house. His mom walked into the kitchen to start dinner and Nick lead Maddie out on the back deck. 

The two sat down and started to talk about htier duet. Both of them were excited to perform it. A few minutes after they were done talking a soft breeze blew in causing Maddie to shiver slightly. Nick seemed too notice and offered her his sweatshirt.

"Are you cold?" He asked. Maddie shook her head. The breeze gave her goose bumps but it was warm enough where Maddie could stay out here without a sweatshirt on. Maddie thanked him but declined his offer and then Nick disappeared inside, leaving Maddie out on the back deck. 

Maddie looked up at the sky. It was just becoming twilight where the light of the day was turning into the darkness. The sky was just turning a dark pink when Maddie heard the door slide open. She turned around to see Nick coming back outside.

"Okay, so since it's Friday, I was wondering if you would want to go out and get dinner instead of eating here." Nick stated. 

When Nick mentioned the weekend Maddie remembered that it was Friday. She had been so busy the whole week dealing with school and learning the duet for the competition next week. Maddie considered this and then answered.

"I'd love to." She said with a smile. She stood up from the deck chair she had been sitting in and laced her fingers through Nick's. Their hands fit perfectly together like they were almost made for one another.

"So where are we going?" Maddie asked, after her and Nick had went inside and told his mom that the two of them were leaving. Since Nick couldn't drive yet the two of them would be walking to wherever they were going but that was okay since the place was close.

"I was thinking we could go to Panera Bread. Sound good?" He asked. Maddie nodded. "Sounds perfect."  She replied the two of them walked in a silence for a bit before Nick spoke up again.

"Oh yeah, I'm paying no exceptions." He told Maddie. 

Maddie tried to make him let her pay for at least her dinner but Nick would not allow it. Finally Maddie gave up after figuring out that she was not going to be able convince him to let her pay for herself. The two of them walked in silence for a bit holding hands. Now the sky was a deep shade of pink.

Nick and Maddie arrived at Panera Bread a few moments later the two of them walked inside an ordered. Maddie got ceasar salad with a seasonal fruit cup on the side and a black cherry smoothie to drink. Nick got a Cuban chicken panini and a cup of french onion soup and a iced green tea to drink. The two of them went and sat down at a table after they ordered and paid and waited for a waiter to bring them their food. 

The two talked quietly while they waited and soon enough the waiter brought out their food. The two ate and when they were done they talked for a few more minutes. Maddie was finishing up her smoothie and Nick was looking at her from across the table.

Maddie looked up at him a minute later and pulled away from her smoothie. "What?" She asked, a silly smile spreading across her face.

"Nothing, you’re just so beautiful." Nick answered, suddenly becoming shy.

Maddie blushed. "Thanks." She answered.

A few minutes later, the two of them left Panera Bread and started walking towards Nick's house. It had gotten colder while the two of them were eating and Maddie didn't have a jacket. A harsh breeze blew and suddenly Maddie felt little light rain drops hitting her head. 

"Oh, wonderful." Maddie said, sarcastically looking up at the sky. Nick gave Maddie his jacket before grabbing her hand and starting to run. He wanted to get the two of them back to his house before it started raining to hard. 

As soon as Nick and Maddie walked into Nick's house and they closed the door, both of them leaning against the door panting heavily, trying to catch their breath. It had started raining hard. After the two got dried off a little, Nick and Maddie sat down in the living room to watch a movie together.

"Is Pitch Perfect okay?" Nick asked. He knew Maddie was in love with that movie so that's why he picked it. "Yes! I love that movie!" Maddie screamed a smile on her face. Nick chuckled at her silliness and excitement. He put the DVD in the DVD player and then walked over to the couch and sat down by Maddie. 

The movie started and about halfway through he noticed Maddie had become really quiet he looked to his left and saw Maddie asleep her head laying on one of the couch pillows. Nick smiled and got up; getting a blanket that was hanging over the back of the chair in the living room. He laid it over Maddie and then went into the kitchen to call Melissa.

Melissa answered on the first ring. "Hello?"

"Hi, Mrs. Ziegler, I just wanted to let you know that Maddie fell asleep at my house, so if you still want to pick her up that's fine, or if you just wanted to let her spend the night. This is Nick by the way." 

Melissa was silent for a minute thinking about the options. "If it's alright, I will just let her stay the night and pick her up after dance." Melissa responded.

"That's fine. Have a good night." Nick said.

"Same goes for you. Goodbye now." Melissa said right before hanging up.

"Bye." Nick said then hung up. 

He walked back into the living room and shut off the TV. He picked up Maddie and carried her to his room. Maddie laid her head on his shoulder and Nick looked down and smiled at her. He laid her in his bed and covered her up, before turning and walking out of the room and going back down to lay down on the couch. 

Nick covered himself up and then closed his eyes, thinking about the amazing night he had just had. Within minutes of thinking about the day he was asleep and dreaming about Maddie.