CHAPTER 8

_- ZULAIKA- 

Four months into our marriage, my relationship with Asad has been tremendous. Asad and I decided to start a partnership company. Asad takes care of the financing part as he buys the equipment and handles our business paperwork. On the other hand, I make content for cosmetic videos and fashion. Asad and I decided to start a small web series about us being newlyweds.

On our show, we allow our audience limited access to our lives. We record us going on dates, cooking together, shopping, and other basic lifestyles a married couple would do. Social media was rapidly growing. Even though Suffiya made every negative comment on every post on my social media accounts, everything was great. While reading an email from my subscribers, one particular email caught my eye. Sheik Abdelnoor sent an email demanding that I talk to him. I emailed him to refuse his demand. He then threatened to expose my countless Muk'tah marriages.

"You and your husband have cheated on me. You could have paid more money for what I did for you."

I responded with a scathing email.

"Please leave me alone. It is not Islamic for you to contact a married woman. I no longer want or have the need to talk with you. My husband paid your fee that you agreed to take."

Hoping that it would end the conversation. Sheik Abdelnoor was unrelenting with his demands. Sheik Abdelnoor has sent me a document of my previous marriage to my first husband.

"It appears that you are still married. Your current marriage is invalid according to Islam. Do you know how damaging this can be to your image? However, I am willing to file a petition for divorce on your behalf if you pay me 20,000 American dollars to cover my fees."

Evidently, the Sheik was blackmailing me; however, he was right about not being adequately divorced by law. However, I did not have $20,000 to give him. I do receive donations, but no more than 100 dollars a week. I asked Sheik if I needed time to gather the money he gave me two days ago.

My anxiety was so high that I forgot to cook dinner. When Asad returned home, I told him what had happened.

- ASAD -

Today was a long day at work, and I could not wait to see Zulaikah and eat one of her home-cooked meals. However, I was met with Zulaikah crying. Once Zulaikah told me what was going on, I immediately sent Abdelnoor an email.

"I don't know what you are trying to do, but we are not paying you another red cent. I asked for your assistance with my marriage to Zulaikahs so that she can escape the life you tricked her into having.

Once I hit send, within five minutes, Sheik responded.

"I am not asking for more money for your marriage. I am offering my assistance for Zulaikah's divorce from her first husband. As I told you, it is not permissible for a woman to have two husbands in Islam. Your marriage is invalid. For $5000, I can help proceed with the divorce in my country.

After reading that text, my fingertips released explosive words of anger and contempt.

"ZULAIKAH HAVEN'T SEEN HER FIRST HUSBAND IN YEARS. IF YOU WERE CONCERNED ABOUT ZULAIKAH, WHY DID YOU MARRY HER COUNTLESS TIMES IN TEMPORARY MARRIAGES JUST TO LINE YOUR OWN POCKETS WITH MONEY! NOW THAT ZULAIKA IS DOING WELL FOR HERSELF, YOU THINK SHE IS SWIMMING IN DIAMOND AND GOLD."

Shortly after sending the abusive email, Sheik sent one final email stating that we would regret our decision. I told Zulaikah what happened, which caused her to panic more.