Chapter 3 (FREEDOM COMES AT A COST)

- Zulaikah -

When the Sheik took me away from the bridge, he locked me up inside an empty storage room in his basement. I slept on the floor that night after he had beaten me. Then, after being locked away for a day, the Sheik came at night while I was sitting on the dusty floor.

"I found someone suitable for you. Let's go!" The Sheik demanded.

I did what was commanded. I followed Abdelnoor with my head held down in fear. Finally, Abdelnoor took me to his car, opened the trunk, and demanded that I get in.

"Why can't I ride in the back seat?"

"Do you want us to get arrested?" The Sheik asked.

My punishment would be much harsher than the Sheiks if we were arrested. Without further hesitation, I immediately climbed in. Abdelnoor slammed the trunk closed. Within minutes I was back in the apartment. The Sheik demanded I get ready. He sat in the kitchen chair to watch me.

"Can I please have some privacy," I asked?

"You don't deserve any privacy after what you tried to pull!" the Sheik yelled.

"Could you please at least look away," I requested.

The Sheik turned his back, allowing me some privacy.

"I got dressed in minutes with an uncomfortable feeling."

When I was ready, the Sheik got up and walked towards me. He towered over with a stern look.

"Don't disappoint me," the Sheik demanded before leaving the apartment.

Within minutes there was a knock on my door. I quickly wrapped my black chador around me to answer the door. I immediately allowed the dark skin man to enter so he could be done with his time. Not knowing this man would become my true husband, I treated him like any temporary spouse. I quickly rushed him in so I could be done with him. When I removed my clothes, I never expected him to reject me.

"Wait," Asad pleaded.

He picked up my chador from the floor and covered me. I was confused.

"You don't like what you see?"

"I am not here for what you think I am here for. I want to talk to you!"

"What is there to talk about?"

"I want to talk about you. I stopped you from jumping yesterday."

"It was you who stopped me? How dare you," I replied with anger. "You had no right!"

"I had every right. I felt compelled by Allah to save you."

"Well, you can't save me from my problems!" I replied.

"Tell me about your problems. I will try my best to help you. My name is Asad; what is yours?"

"Zulaikah!"

"Nice to finally meet you, Zulaikah," Asad replied in a friendly, nurturing tone.

Even though his Arabic was not that great, I could tell he was sincere with his words.

"How did you end up doing Muk'tah marriage?"

When I started, I had no other choice?"

I was very uncomfortable when he asked me questions about my personal life. I did not want to answer, but I was obligated because he was my husband. We talked until it was time for Fajr prayers. He asked me to pray with him. I was surprised. Most men usually would leave before being seen leaving my apartment. I was more than happy to be his wife. Our time together actually felt like a forthcoming marriage. When we finished making salat, he asked me if I wanted to marry him.