Chapter Three

"I beg your pardon, sir?" they heard Kiyoko-san say a little too loudly, which meant she needed everyone to pay attention to her conversation with the older man.
His smile was infectious, as if he knew what he was dealing with and wanted to play along anyway. He cleared his throat, and repeated himself.
"My prince and the Emir would like to meet your dancers, especially the two men. If it pleases you, they would also like to extend an invitation for your troupe to dance for them at the palace."
"If I may, I'd like to discuss this with my troupe?"
"Of course, my dear," the older fellow agreed benevolently. "Take your time. But please, would it be alright if my prince and his friend joined me?"
"Of course," she said with a bow. "Please excuse me." She bowed again, and gracefully collected her flock, including the two men, and left him to his own devices.

No one spoke until they entered their tent, and then it was a cacophony of sound, like birds chattering at each other, but a little less prettily done. Everyone spoke over each other, except Kei and Keiji, who returned to their customary places, sitting side-by-side, and holding hands.

"The Sheikh invited us to his palace!"
"I can't believe our good fortune!"
"Does this mean we'll get new silks for new outfits?"
"Oh! Maybe also new jewelry!"
"You sound way too excited for the unknown."
"What's unknown about it? We'll be living in the palace..."

"No, we will not!" Kiyoko-san once again yelled over her friends to be heard. When she had their attention she continued. "We are only invited to dance at the palace, not to stay permanently. Besides, the way you ladies are talking, it sounds like you'd be perfectly happy as a harem."
"Well..." Kaori replied carefully. "Is being in a harem a bad thing?"
"We'd be well provided for," Mai added logically. "Regular meals..."
"And we wouldn't have to sleep outside," Runa finished Mai's thought.
"We only do that if we've run out of funds, or got diverted on the way to the next town," Hana replied.
"Which happens more often than I care to count," Eri said sarcastically.
"And they're both rather handsome," Hitoka said with a dreamy look in her eyes.

Kiyoko sighed. It seemed none of them caught on to the fact that the older gentleman had asked the entire troupe to the palace only as a suitable cover for the two they were truly interested in.

She looked at each excited face, until she met the calm gazes of her two silent dancers. They'd settled in their own little nest again. Close enough to feel included in the group, but far enough away to offer them a slight amount of protection. Never once in the time they joined the troupe had Kiyoko been even remotely curious about their backgrounds. She didn't ask, and they didn't tell. But now, she felt the stirrings of curiosity.

Glancing back at her friends, she made her way over to the two of them. They watched her with friendly, yet cautious eyes, and maybe rightly so. She settled down in front of them, and smiled gently.

"You want to know about us," Kei said without preamble.
"Please. If you don't mind."
"Why now?" Keiji asked quietly. "After so many years, why are you just now interested in our past?"
"Ji, it's alright. Kiyoko-san won't make us go away," Kei said, taking the other's hand in both of his and bestowing a kiss on the other's lips, and then he looked at Kiyoko. "Will you?"
"Of course not! Why would you even think such a thing!" She looked affronted for a few seconds, and then gentled her expression. "You two are like our brothers, you know. We can't think of the troupe without you."
Kei and Keiji looked at each other and then nodded.
"We'll explain. What do you want to know?"

~*~

"Are you sure they're coming back?" Kuroo asked Nekomata, as he paced around the anteroom again. "They've been gone forever."
"It's only been half an hour. They have to discuss your offer."
"What's to discuss?" Bokuto questioned from his place on the low sofa, his eyes following Kuroo. "We invited their entire troupe to the palace, they should be excited about it!"
"Maybe they don't all want to come," Kuroo muttered after another circuit. "Maybe she needs to convince them."
"Ha!" Bokuto laughed. "Every time we invited dancing troupes to perform for us, they practically fell all over each other agreeing."
"This one is different."
"Obviously! Who'd've thought we'd find a dancing troupe with two men! And gorgeous ones at that."
"I know, right?!" Kuroo smiled at his friend, but he kept moving. "Are you sure they're coming back?" he asked Nekomata again as he passed by the older man.
"Give them time, sir," he said patiently.
Kuroo grumbled under his breath. When he started by Bokuto again, his friend reached out, grabbed his arm, and yanked him down beside him.
"Stay still, Kuro, you're making me dizzy."
"Bo! Let me up!"
"No, you'll just start moving again, and I'll be forced to stop you again."
"You haven't exactly stopped me yet."
Bokuto moved so that Kuroo was caged between his arms.
"Is that a challenge?" Bo moved even closer, til their faces were only a breath apart.
"What if it is?"
"Just wait til I get you back in our tent."
"That long, huh?"

Bokuto was only a breath away from kissing Kuroo, but they were interrupted by the clearing of Nekomata's throat. Both of them turned their attention to the advisor, and found the leader of the Clan of Crows standing next to him, a kind smile on her face. They practically flew apart, acting as if they hadn't just been caught almost kissing, when she rolled her eyes and waved off their actions.

"Greetings, your highness, my lord. My name is Kiyoko Shimizu and I am the leader of the Clan of Crows. My troupe will be pleased to perform for you at your palace," she said with a bow. "But I must first ask you a few questions."
"Certainly," Nekomata answered while Kuroo straightened his turban, and Bokuto just left his off.
"How long do you wish for us to stay?"
Nekomata would have answered, but Kuroo overrode him.
"For as long as you want. You'll be free to leave at any time. We will provide you rooms to change and sleep in, and meals throughout the day."
"What is expected of us?"
"We'll be hosting a few dignitaries for discussions in future months, and we thought to provide them some entertainment during their visit. Should you choose to stay, you'll be expected to perform after supper."
"How many performances?"
"At least one per night. More, if there's a need."

Bokuto watched the woman, and narrowed his eyes when he noticed her slight fidgeting. She gave no other outward indication that she was anxious. He leaned over to whisper in Kuroo's ear. The other raised an eyebrow, and then spoke.

"Is this a satisfactory offer, Kiyoko-san?"
"Yes, thank you, your highness."
Kuroo smiled. "Is there anything else you require?"
Now, she did look anxious, her fidgeting a little more pronounced. Kuroo sat up and looked at Bokuto, who also sat up straighter.
"If you are asking for protection, we are more than happy to assign guards for the length of your stay," Bokuto told her sternly. "However, we do require a reason why."

Instead of answering, she looked behind her for a moment, and nodded at whoever stood outside the door. She turned and bowed to them, and then stood aside. Slowly, and not without a little apprehension, the two male dancers they were truly interested in entered the anteroom. They were dressed plainly now, but were as gorgeous as Bokuto had said.

"Your Highness, My Lord," Kiyoko said, starting the introduction. "May I present my two best dancers: Kei Tsukishima, and Keiji Akaashi."