Chapter Twenty One

It took most of that day to pack up and get the caravan moving, so it wasn't until nightfall that they finally made it to the palace. Along the route, people gathered to see, and cheer, the Sheikh's return home. There were several in the crowd who shouted louder than the rest, and Kuroo would banter with them as if they were friends, rather than acquaintances, but it didn't really matter. It was clear he was a beloved ruler of his little corner of the desert, and that was impressive.

Kei and Ji marveled at all of it, walking in the middle of the procession. They were used to smaller towns and villages, where it took only a few minutes to get from one end to the other. Anything bigger, and they stayed within their tent until it was time to leave. This time, they were able to look at everything, take it all in, and find themselves equally curious and amazed. And yet, they also found themselves searching the crowd for anyone or anything connected to the Eagle Clan.

"It'll be alright," Bokuto said from behind them, loud enough for them to hear. "Your guards are on high alert, and we're all keeping our eyes open. You'll be fine."
"Thank you," Kei replied, watching Ji smile with relief back at his lover. "But it might take us a little while to not look out for ourselves."
"It's not like I'm asking you to stop. You've done everything to keep yourselves safe for ten years," Bokuto said, his golden eyes clashing with Kei's. "But now, you have help. So you can lean on us a little, yeah?"
"Right. Sorry."
"No apologies, Tsuki," Bokuto smiled at him. "You'll be free from everything soon, alright?"
"Well, maybe not everything," Kei said with a smirk.
That got both Bokuto's attention, and Ji's. Both wore a confused expression, and Kei laughed.
"What do you mean?" Ji asked him, looking worried as well as confused.
"Being free from the Eagle Clan is our ultimate goal, right?"
"Well, yeah..."
"That's all I want, really," Kei explained. "Think about it. We've done more with Kuroo and Bokuto than we ever have. And before you jump in to tell me that's because we were too scared, I already know that. Still, all I want is to be free from the Eagle Clan. I'm pretty happy with everything else. You know?" And he took a step forward, his pace faster, so that he eventually caught up to Kuroo.
Kou stepped up and walked beside Ji. "Should we be worried about him?"
"No. Not at all," Ji replied. Kou looked at him, and saw him smiling softly, his eyes shimmering with unshed tears and love. "He's fine. He'll be fine."
"Okay." Kou scratched his head, clearly thinking about what just happened. Ji chuckled, waiting for the moment it would hit him. It wasn't long. "He wants to stay? With us?"
"Yeah. We both do. I doubt, at this point, you could get rid of us."
"But your clan.."
"Kiyoko-san, and the rest of our sisters, will be happy for us. Just as they were for others who left before us."

Ji kept his pace steady, but knew he'd be swept up in Kou's arms and swung around in circles the moment they weren't the object of everyone's attention. Still, he noticed when Kou added a little spring to his step and his smile brightened. And it wasn't lost on him when people in the crowd recognized him, and teased him for it. Kou joked back with them.

So, the people not only loved their Sheikh, but the Emir as well. No wonder Kei was happier than he'd ever been, and more relaxed. Ji felt it, too. They were going to be fine. Both of them. Finally.
"Hey! Does Kuroo know?"
"I assume he does," Ji replied. "Kei might not say it in so many words, but he can get his point across if he needs to."
"Good. I was worried for a minute, there."
"Oh? About what?"
"Well... this morning..."
"Right. That." Ji slowed his pace a bit. "It might take longer for him to finally believe he's just as beautiful as I am, if not more so."
"Not you, too," Kou muttered, his good mood slipping. "Ji, you are..."
"No, that's not it. Let me try to explain," he said thoughtfully. "Where I am dark, like midnight, with eyes like the sea, Kei is light, like the moon. Hair the color of pale gold, eyes that are only slightly darker than that, and light complexion to match. Cool, refined, and he's confident in nearly everything he does. He took our dancing lessons seriously, tried his best even when they were hard on us; I'm convinced he would have been made a part of the clan if not for his pale coloring and good nature. His only real weakness is that infernal insecurity." He growled at the last remark, and took a deep breath to calm himself. "Sorry. He's completely fine until someone says something to trigger those thoughts. And I know he didn't always think that way."
"Well, what can we do to help him?"
Ji looked at his lover fully. "Other than being as supportive as we can? I mean, Kuroo is obviously working his own magic on Kei."
"But will it be enough?"
"I don't understand."

Kou looked thoughtful now, his golden eyes flitting everywhere as he was thinking. Ji knew he'd have to wait for any sort of explanation, so he continued walking. Soon, though, they were at the palace, and even if Kou had answered him, he wouldn't have been able to concentrate. The palace was big, certainly. At least, bigger than anything he'd ever seen in his life. Gleaming white walls, punctured with openings for windows (some even had curtains fluttering out of them), and two tall turrets on either side of the main structure.

"Do you like it?" he heard Kou ask from beside him. All Ji could muster was a nod. "It's smaller than most, but then, Kuro doesn't need so much space."
Ji blinked out of his amazement to look at Kou. "What?"
"Come on, love. I'll show you around."
"Okay."

~*~

By the time they were all settled in, it was well after midnight. The palace staff had a light meal waiting for them, and the entire caravan ate until they were pleasantly full. Afterward, the men who weren't on guard duty until later, went to find their beds in the barracks. The ladies of the Crown clan were settled in what would have been where the harem would live, and they quickly made themselves at home. Kei and Ji would have stayed with them, but they were tugged away by their lovers. Kiyoko-san and the rest just laughed as they were led from the room.

Kei and Ji found out that while the palace looked small from the front approach, it was actually a rather long building, with parts of it hidden below ground level. Kuroo's rooms, and Bokuto's, were on a lower level. Partially for safety, but also because it was cooler. There was also a slight breeze through the halls and rooms, and Kei was curious to find out how. Almost too curious.

"Come on, Firefly. We need to sleep," Tetsuro said, his voice reflecting his tiredness. "We'll have all day tomorrow, or the next, to explore." He practically had to drag Kei away from a rounded section of the wall with a grated opening at the top and bottom.

Inside his rooms, Kei was once again gaping at everything, slowly turning to take it all in. Seeing his palace through Kei's eyes, it was richly decorated, but in a quiet sort of way. Tetsuro didn't need reminders of his own wealth, but in order to have nice things... well. His palace might be small compared to most, and certainly less ostentatious, but that was by design. Kei seemed to understand, just from looking around.

"What do you think?" he asked as he came to stand next to Kei.
"It's beautiful, if a little intimidating."
"Intimidating? How so?"
"I'm not used to this," he replied, waving at everything. "Maybe I used the wrong word." He grinned sheepishly, turning to face him. "And maybe, one day, I'll be able to see all this as you do."
"Oh? And how do you think I see it?"
"Like home."
Tetsuro knew he'd fallen in love with Kei, but with those words, he fell even harder.