Chapter Twenty Five

"Anything?" Kuroo asked Nekomata shortly as he paced his reception room. He came here because it was bigger, and didn't remind him so much of Kei. Not that he could go anywhere in the palace and not be reminded of Kei. It was just easier here.
"Not yet, my lord," the older man stood still and watched him scrupulously. "My men are scouring the streets. They can't have gone far."
"Or, they could have already left," Kuroo glared at him. "The dogs?"
"Also out with their handlers. I sent them farther out towards the outskirts."
"Runners?"
"Both here and with each group searching. We'll be able to communicate as efficiently as possible."
"Right. I want guards at all points in and out of the town. Anyone can enter, but leaving will require a search..."
"Don't you think that's a bit... rash, my lord?"
"They might try to smuggle him out, Nekomata. I'm not willing to let that happen."
"I'm sure the people might take issue with it, since they are unaware of the current situation."
"Right. How do we explain this without giving away too much information?"
Nekomata didn't answer. Instead, he rocked on his feet before asking his own questions.
"My lord?"
"What is it?"
"When was the last time you've eaten? Slept?"

Kuroo stopped moving. He had to think about it. With Kei gone, his appetite had dwindled to almost nothing, and his sleeplessness increased. It had been at least a day since they'd gotten word about his abduction, and that was the last time he remembered eating anything substantial. As for sleep? It wasn't like he didn't try, but every little noise woke him up, and that's if he even managed to find his way into slumber.

Kei wasn't here. He wasn't beside him. Barely even a month together, and it was so hard to think of what life was like before him. Thank god Bokuto understood; he admitted he'd be in the same state, or worse, if Ji had been abducted.

"May I suggest a light meal and some rest, my lord?" Nekomata's kind, concerned, voice interrupted his thoughts.
"Maybe later, Nekomata. Thank you, though."
"My lord..." the older man protested gently, but the door opened, and at the head of a few servants came Ji. Carrying a tray of food.
"Pardon me, my lord, but I brought your lunch."
"I already said I'd eat later," Kuroo replied irritably.
"When did you say that?"
"Only a few minutes ago," Nekomata chimed in, his smile knowing.
"Well, then it's later," Ji said, brooking no refusal. The tray he held was taken from him, and he went over to Kuroo. "We made some of your favorites, and there's plenty of veggies and fruit. Fatima will have fresh bread sent as soon as the first loaves are out of the oven. Are you going to refuse all of her efforts?"
"No!" Kuroo replied a little too quickly. "It's just that I'm not..."
"You haven't really eaten in over a day, and what you ate was probably just enough to keep your stomach from complaining. Am I right?"
Right as Kuroo was about to answer, Bokuto came in, and sat down at the table that had been set up. He started selecting foods for himself and Ji, and then waited patiently.
"It won't do you any good to starve yourself," he said quietly. "And you need sleep."
"Bo..."
"Kei is going to need you when we save him, Kuroo," Ji said, reaching down to grab his wrist and pull him toward the table. "You need to eat and sleep so you'll be ready for him when he comes home."
"Bold of you to assume I'll be waiting here."
"Well, then if you plan on being the one to save him, then I suggest you eat," Ji told him, serving him some food. "And once you've had a decent amount, you'll sleep."
"You're being particularly bossy, Akaashi," Kuroo groused. "I'm not even tired."
"Says the one with dark circles under his eyes."
"Bo? Mind reeling in your lover?"
"Why? He's right."
"Traitor."
"That's concerned traitor to you, Kuro. Sit and eat, will ya?"

~*~

Several hours later, a well-fed and well-rested Sheikh was once again prowling around his audience chamber. He had to admit, he did feel somewhat better after his friends took care of him. And he made sure to promise not to skip meals or sleep again.

Pausing for a moment, he gazed out one of his windows and took a moment to admire the sunset over desert sands. The brilliant colors in the sky matched the golden tones of the sand, reminding him of his love. They needed to find Kei, and soon, before the Eagle Clan made it out of the town. That's if they weren't already too late.

"Supper will be served in an hour," Ji walked in, with Bokuto behind him. "Fatima wants to know where she should have it sent?"
"Here is fine," he replied, but Bokuto shook his head.
"Your rooms," he told him. "That way, you can eat your fill and sleep in your bed tonight."
"I'm going to start calling you two Mom and Dad, if you keep this up."
"Take better care of yourself," was the reply he got.
"I love you too, Dad." Kuroo had to grin at his friends. "Fine. I suppose we can have supper in my rooms. Just be prepared to stay with me until I fall asleep. Hell, we can set it up so you two can just sleep there, too, if that's alright with you?"
"Sure."

Ji went to the door, intending to go tell Fatima what their plans were, when he hastily stepped aside to let in Taichi. He was flushed from running, and held something in his hands. Nekomata entered close behind, with one of his men, presumably a runner.

"I have... news... sir," he said breathlessly. He fell to his knees, but held out the item in his hand. "One of... the dogs found... this," he said as Ji came around to take it from his hands.
"It's Kei's," he said excitedly. Kuroo rushed over and Ji handed a piece of fabric tied around his soft soled shoes.
"Where did they find it?"
"Outside of a small building near the edge of town," Taichi answered. "Northwest from here."
"Let's go," Kuroo said, already halfway to the door.
"We haven't confirmed Tsukishima is even there," Nekomata said gently. "We do know the building was abandoned, and that only recently has there been any activity there."
"But if they found this..."
"Could just be a plant," Neokmata explained carefully. "A trap. Something to get us to make a move too soon."
"How long do we have to wait to get confirmation? I'm not about to wait another day, not when Kei could be taken farther away."
"Understandable. I already have my men on it," the older man said. "We'll have more information soon. Is that acceptable?"
Kuroo gripped the shoes tight, sighed, and then nodded. "Fine. Just, please hurry."
"We're moving as quickly as possible, my lord. We can't make any mistakes, or it will tip them off."
"Do we already have guards manning the roads leading in and out of the town?"
Bokuto answered, "All but one, and I have already sent men out to cover it."
"Good."

From his place on the floor, Taichi listened to what was being said, and then looked up at Kuroo.

"I know we asked to help, sir, and you denied us before, but... I'd like to join in the search."
"Are you sure? I can't guarantee your safety if you go."
"I know, my lord. But if they do manage to take Kei away, he'll need someone familiar to be there for him and to help if needed."
"And Semi?"
"We talked it over, and he'll stay here. He's not willing to leave Hitoka's side."
"Understandable. Well, if this is what you truly want?"
"It is," the younger man replied. "I need to feel useful, and at least in this I can help out."
"Done. Get with Nekomata and he'll put you to work."
Taichi nodded and rose to his feet, bowing to Kuroo as he went to Nekomata's side.
"One more thing," Kuroo said before they left. "Be careful. Stay alive. Understood?"
"Yes, my lord!"
Nekomata was already explaining what he wanted done when they left the room.
"You made him happy, Kuro. You might just have another fan."
Kuroo shrugged and sat down at the table, joining his friends.
"He is determined to help, and while I'd rather keep him in the palace, I also want all the help I can get in finding Kei before the Eagle Clan tries to leave with him."
"True enough."