To Save it All Pt. 1

This is for KrazyKiten for helping me with one of my projects for school this semester. I really, really appreciate your help, and I'm so sorry that this is coming out so late. I've just had a lot more going on than expected. I did decide to break this into parts since it will be pretty long, but I'll try to get the other parts out within the next couple of weeks.

Also, just a warning, there will be a few spoilers for those who have not read the unedited version.

****

Who would have thought that it would come to this?

A twenty-five year old Hideyoshi Masami stood in front of her creation that had taken nearly five years to complete. 

It took her five whole years to build the world's first operating and functional time machine. This may not seem long given that it was a time machine that she was building, but to her, every passing day felt like years

Every day without her friends, without her family, just seemed to eat away at her as she slowly became a shell of what she once was. She probably would have given up, too, if it hadn't been for the realization that she could fix it all. 

Masami always knew that time travel was possible. After all, her uncle had been number one when it came to tearing holes in the fabric of time and space. If it was possible to travel through time by quirk, then surely it was possible to travel through time by technology, right? 

However, it wasn't until the world ended that she actually put her theories to the test. 

The end of the world was a bit difficult to describe. It hadn't just happened in a single moment, and as T.S. Elliot once said, "This is the way the world ends, not with a bang, but a whimper." 

If Masami were to try and pinpoint the very beginning of it all, it probably would have been the moment that Shigaraki Tomura discovered the existence of the gods, or deities as they preferred. The next moment was him discovering how to trap them and make them into Nomu, Nomu so terrifying that they made the Nomu from the USJ seem like an infant throwing a small tantrum. At first, there were only a couple of these Nomu, so despite their strength, they were able to be defeated with the cooperation of multiple heroes. The situation escalated, however, as the Nomu's numbers grew by the day.

More and more deities and faux artificial deities were made into Nomu, and there was nothing anybody could do to stop them. Things only worsened once Shigaraki released a chemical that began turning people into Nomus if they were to ingest it. The civilians had never stood a chance from the very beginning, and one by one, the heroes fell as well. 

There was, however, a curveball in Shigaraki's plans.

Well, two actually. 

The first curveball was Masami herself. 

With both Shiro and Kuro inhabiting her body, Masami had found herself immune to the strand of chemicals turning people into Nomus, and the Nomus often saw her as one of their own since they too had a deity as their base. (Deities were not known to attack their own kind, and this thought process and instinct had transferred onto the Nomus. Well… so long as she didn't try to attack them at least…) 

Shiro and Kuro had taken to jokingly calling Masami the deity magnet, causing the young woman to roll her eyes every time. 

It wasn't her fault that Shiro and Kuro had decided she would be the perfect host at only eight years old. 

In any case, Shigaraki had not been planning for Masami's survival.

The second curveball occurred when the Nomus turned against him.