Chapter 48

I gasped and sat up from where I had collapsed on the ground. The air felt damp and the sky overhead was heavy, darkening with every breath. The smell of smoke and the taste of death still sat on my tongue as if my dream had momentarily slipped into reality. My fist was curled around an imaginary staff, little half-moons dented into my skin from my nails pressing into my flesh.

I followed my steps back to the ballroom's entrance, climbing the stairs slowly. The stones were slick as I walked up and as I rounded the doorway movement inside stopped me. I ducked back down, peeking over the wall.

Vas had Llana pressed against the doorjamb, his face an inch away from hers as they spoke in hushed tones. I could barely hear their whispers, and my cheeks flushed when Llana grabbed the back of Vas' head and brought his lips down onto hers with force.

"Llana," Vas said, his voice husky when Llana let him up for air. "Please, we can't."

"Of course, we can," she laughed, tugging him towards her again.

"I can't," he said, reaching up and unhooking her hand from his neck. I could see the shift of her features before I heard the anger in her voice.

"Can't bother with me now that you have a little pet?" she snapped. "I suppose prey would taste sweeter."

"That's not why—" he started reaching up to touch her face. She slapped it away.

"I didn't think power scared you," she sneered. "But I guess you're just like all those other males—the need to be more powerful than your partner drives you to their beds, too."

My stomach flip-flopped. In disgust. It wasn't human women who thought that way. Llana shoved away from Vas, staring him down in silence. When he didn't say anything in return she scoffed at him and stormed from the room, the door hanging wide behind her.

Vas stared at retreating from, as if not sure whether or not to follow. I rolled my eyes and stood up from my crouch. "You should follower her," I said, stepping into the ballroom fully.

He sighed heavily but didn't turn around. I could feel the weight of our previous discussion hanging around us.

"That's what she wants you to do—she's testing you. Don't fail, Vas." I though back to the day Clark had stormed out of our tiny apartment. Bogan hadn't followed her. He didn't even try to bring her back, and now look at us all. Dead, crazy and broken.

"You don't get it, do you?" he growled, his voice hard. I flinched against the anger. He whipped around to face me and stalked closer, like the prey Llana said I was.

"I have no choices—I'm bound to Evound, and now it seems I am bound to you. If I follow her, I am asking her to risk her life. If I follow her, I am showing a weakness that can be exploited."

Vas reached out and shoved me against the wall hard, pressing harder than necessary to keep me there. "Do you have any idea what rebellion entails? Truly? Loss of life will be great, and until I can be free of you and Evound's dreams, I must be yours, your faithful servant." Vas' face was inches from my own, his hot breath harshly meeting my cheeks.

Llana chose that moment to return, her face apologetic until she spotted me. She didn't know any better and she immediately classified our embrace as something between lovers, I could see the thought settle inside her. Her face contorted with rage and she lunged at Vas.

Something warm pulsed at my neck and that familiar surge of rightness flooded my veins.

"Stop!" I yelled. Vas froze and Llana slowed considerably, blinking at me slowly.

"It is not what you think," I felt the warmth fade. Comfortable with the lack of attack, I let myself relax and removed Vas' hands from my body.

"What?" Llana stuttered. Vas seemed to gain his speech, although his voice was shaky as he reached for her.

"Llana," Vas began.

Llana backed up two steps her eyes wide with horror. "She's human," Llana said slowly.

"Sort of," he said. "Please, just follow us, Evound will explain."

"Evound? He knows about her? The Phoenix, Vas."

My ears pricked. I had just heard that in my dream. "What did you say?"

Llana ignored me—her focus entirely on Vas.

"You have to trust me."

She backed up another dozen steps. "Will you tell someone?" he asked her. Llana considered me a long time before she shrugged.

"Not right now. I need to think about what this means."

"Thank you—"

"The necklace, Vas. She shouldn't wear it out like that." And then she fled, Vas' heart seeming to chase after. But instead, Vas turned to look at my throat and his face hardened.

"Where did you get this?" he demanded, his fingers tugging on a pendant hanging around my neck. I glanced down and slumped back against the wall in amazement.

"I don't really know," I said, batting his hand away and fingering the necklace. It was the same one the man in my dream had given me. I told Vas as much and Vas took a small step back from me.

"Did he say anything?"

I shook my head. "He just told me to run."

We rushed back to Evound, immediately after Vas yanked the necklace from my neck and shoved it deep into one of his pockets. "You're going to be the death of me," Vas grumbled as we practically ran down the hall. I sprinted, gasping air and unable to snap back at him. He threw open the door not bothering with any coded knocking.

Benzit was sitting at the small, wood table and leapt to his feet as we stepped inside. His momentum caused the table to come crashing down in front of him, his small bow raised and fingers just barely restraining the arrow.

"Ollie," he said, relief clear on his face. "Are you alright?" Benzit cocked an eyebrow at me as he gave a little shoulder shake toward Vas.

"Yes—we need Evound," I replied, noticing Vas' scowl as Benzit directed his questions and concerns to me.

"He look Alice and Lee to meet the woman in charge."

I did not like that one bit. I could tell Vas was equally uneasy about the development, but didn't acknowledge him.

"When did they leave?" Vas demanded. Benzit looked to me quickly before answering.

"About an hour ago, maybe more."

"The gardens?" I asked. Vas shook his head.

"Too hot, it would be her personal chamber or the war room we took you to."

"Should we split up?"

"As much as I'd like to, no. Ghrat is still a very real threat," he reminded me.