Chapter 19

We paraded up the cobblestone street — me slung between Vas and Dikan like a sack of rocks. My eyes roved our surroundings since I couldn't do anything else. I couldn't believe they drugged me like that, but didn't blame them. I was a risk they'd rather not take.

I had never thought there would be fractures within the Kriyjia. Clearly, there were factions of unhappy members of the elite. Everything keeps coming back to Kiliyan though. I wondered briefly what he was doing, if he had followed after me, or if he had written me off as just another loss to the tunnels.

Warm light filtered down from the upper story windows. Figures moving back and forth inside occasionally. But my gaze kept floating upward to the sky. I couldn't seem to get enough of the sight. But all too soon, we're stopped at the gates of a huge, sprawling estate.

The guard at the gate salutes to Evound, "What brings you back so soon, Sir?" The guard eyed me suspiciously, his lip curled in a sneer. I wanted to slap the look right off his face but could only stare blandly at him in my paralyzed state.

"Miscreants, as usual."

"Another one from below?" he asked, seeming genuinely surprised that another human had managed to escape their prison. Little did he know some random creature dragged me here and abandoned me on a hillside.

The gate swung open and the guard stepped to the far left side to let us pass. My entourage flowed through the gates and headed toward the front doors of the estate. The white double doors were sparkling in their cleanliness and when we entered the foyer the sterility of the room was blinding. Everything was white, clean, shining, and smelled like medicine.

Evound took the lead and veered left off the main foyer. Vas and Dikan didn't break stride as they followed in his wake. A few other Kriyjia meandered around the halls—most appeared to be standing guard. A few humans scurried by not looking up as they passed. I tried desperately to get one of them to look up but like on the streets these human servants were more terrified of what they would see above the ground.

And, sadly, so was I.

After a few turns that left my head spinning, Evound held a hand up to slow Vas and Dikan. "Proceed with caution, we don't want anyone asking questions about her."

I felt more than saw Vas and Dikan nod their agreement. Evound's strides became more purposeful, slower—he checked each corner as we rounded them. We only passed two Kryjia on the way to their rooms. Each time one passed, Evound tensed, staring intently at the faces that passed by. Memorizing each detail of their faces.

The room we entered was wood paneled. The color a deep mahogany. Vas dumped me onto a low, narrow bed in the corner—and proceeded to the fireplace. He built a small inferno quickly, while Evound pulled a chair up to me at the bed and sat down. Dikan nodded once to Evound before he disappeared back into the hallway.

"You'll begin regaining movement in the next few hours. The actual timing varies person to person, normally speech is the first to present itself. Once you are able to move around we will get you clothed in something more appropriate for a human within the estate. You won't be remembered by anyone we passed; Kryjia rarely pay any mind to human prisoners or humans in general."

Their mistake, I thought to myself.

"Don't do anything stupid. If you scream when your voice returns I will not hesitate to slit your throat to preserve my own life."

I didn't entirely believe that was true, but since I was restrained from responding I laid there mutely. Evound didn't seem to be eager to dispose of me, but I'm sure if the right circumstance presented itself I would find myself in a precarious situation. I could still sense the Kriyfem nearby; and as I focused in on the Krifyem closest too me—I felt the pull of the stone above me. There was an immense store of the stone in this building. If I could find it, and figure out how to use the damn thing without being in mortal peril, I may be able to get back to the tunnels, and back to Kiliyan.