Chapter 29

I wanted to take back my suggestion of doing something the second Evound laid out his plan for me.

"You will be treated as a companion. That gives you a bit more access to the estate and allows you to accompany us where we need to go."

"More rules I suppose?" I asked.

Vas snickered. "And a dress."

"I'm sorry?"

"A dress—you'll need to be fitted for one. We haven't had a companion. Although I'm sure a servant would be more helpful in locating one."

"Why can't I just be a servant?" My guts twisted. I liked the idea of being inside. Of seeing everything that the Kryjia see. But, I didn't want to see that look of disgust on another human's face when they saw me.

"Because they've already seen you."

"So? It was one servant. Plus, don't lover's quarrels happen all the time?"  I said reflecting on the arguments I had overheard as a child between Bogan and Clark. Occasionally, one of them, more often Clark, would disappear for a few days to cool off. Until one day when she didn't come back at all.

I shook myself.

"It's not a horrible idea," Dikan interjected. Evound nodded, still frowning at me.

"What about Ghrat? You saw the way he looked at her." Vas wasn't entirely wrong. Ghrat had looked at me like a piece of meat he wanted to slice into.

"But, keeping her among the other humans may cloak her. If he sees us toting her around, he may get suspicious. He knows our tastes are not in line with companions."

There was an hour more of back and forth before they decided that a servant would be a more beneficial role for me. Ghrat had seen me as a servant already, and I would be unlikely to encounter that human servant again. All three grumbled as I retrieved my uniform.

"Here," Vas said, leading me to the opposite side of the room. He pulled a massive maroon colored tomb out of the bookshelf and the bookshelf swung away into a small room.

"You've had this room the whole time?" I muttered.

"Couldn't leave you unsupervised."

I rolled my eyes. "And now?"

"I think you can be trusted to sleep and dress on your own for now. This was a servant's quarters before we took over. You'll stay here."

The room was small, a washbasin in one corner, a bed and nightstand in the other; and a smaller door on the opposite side. I wandered inside—the surfaces were covered in a thin layer of dust. Vas was at least being honest that they hadn't had a servant in some time.

"We prefer our privacy. We handle some, delicate, information." Vas headed for the other door. "This is the entrance and exit you will use when reporting for duties. The door only opens for our side; you will need to knock for access to our room."

I nodded, a thrill of excitement going through me at the prospect of being in my own space; and the opportunity to learn about how this place works.

The next morning, Evound entered the room they had allowed me to stay in and shook me awake. It took me a moment to get my bearings before my gaze settled on him.

"You are due in the kitchens this morning." I nodded and slipped out of bed. He left the room, leaving their door ajar. I dressed quickly, splashed some water on my face from the basin and dragged a brush through my hair as I returned to their quarters. Vas was nowhere to be seen, but Dikan and Evound sat around the table drinking from ceramic mugs.